Thyroid Disorders Community
Normal range for TSH?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

Normal range for TSH?

What is considered a normal TSH reading?  At what point are you labled hypo-.
Mine is 0.056 uIU/mL.  T4  5.4, T3 Uptake 31, Free Thyroxine Index 1.7.
I am currently taking 195 MG thyroid tablet daily. Could I possibly be taking too much thyroid?
A preliminary look says you are slightly overmedicated.

An average TSH is something between 0.8 and 1.8. Anything under 0.3 is considered suspect of hyperthyroid, and you certainly qualify for that. Anything above 2.5 is suspect of hypothyroid.

Of the tests you had run, the only two that are any good are the TSH and the Free T4 (Free Thyroxine Index). The other two were a waste of money.

Your Free T4 of 1.7 is either pushing the top of the lab range, or is above limit slightly. It depends on what your lab uses. It is too high, and echos the TSH result of hyper.

You should talk to your doctor about a small decrease in medication.

Now, if you had thyroid cancer and need a dosage that provides cancer suppression, then there are different rules. But you would still want to lower your med.
Many of your tests aren't even useful. The Free T4 index isn't even a free t4 test.  What you should have had run was a TSH, Free T4, and Free T3 or maybe even a Total T4 or total T3.  The FTI and T3U some doctors now think don't provide enough info.

Yout total T4  of 5.4 is a little on the low side if going by the range of 4.5-12, but your TSH is hyper.  I think I'd retest, making sure its in the morning and get a TSH, Free T4, and Free T3.

How do you feel?
My apologies on the mistake I made. The Free Thyroxine Index test is useless, as Dnarose says.

You need to do as she suggests and get three specific, good tests that will tell the doctor, and you, exactly where your hormone levels are.

To answer you initial question, when you are being treated as a rule you should strive for a TSH of 1.0 or 1.5 in you are taking a Levothyroxine type medication.

The range on hyper and hypo varies and is somewhat deceptive. Bottom line is, anything from 0.3 to 5.5 is considered normal in one clinic or another. Some doctors won't treat hypothyroidism till the TSH is over 10.0.

The truth is 2.5 is high for most people and 3.0 indicates a low hormone level. These levels can bring on symptoms of hypothyroidism.
could a slightly surpressed tsh level reak all this havok on my body and especially my mind. I feel dizzy all the time. I shake horribly on the inside. I have anxiety and palpatations all the time!! My mood swings and sweaty palms ... ok I get it... the Doc says My TSH is slightly surpressed at 2.9 , free t4 1.08 (normal) t.3 100 . the gyn said yes. could all of the havoc really be caused by a slight elevation. Also, had a goiter for 23 years all drs spotted it by looking at me... now they cant see it or "it has gotten smaller" . is that why my body is going thru all of this?
Normal readings are different for everyone. I fell into the normal range and NORMAL wasnt working for me. My body needs to be slightly hyper, SLIGHTLY to make me feel good. I have a Dr that listens to my symptoms and not my numbers!! I feel good at a 1!
I received my lab work back today for TSH test. It came back abnormal and told me to contact my physician immediately. Under abnormal it reads.....  < 0.25 <  with measurements of 0.35-5.50 used. What does this mean ? Please help. Thank you and God Bless! Lisa