Thyroid Disorders Community
Opinions on Sea Kelp?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

Opinions on Sea Kelp?

My Tsh levels were borderline 3 months ago (4.73) and i had them retaken 2months ago. 2 weeks prior to this retest i started taking sea kelp and felt much better - results came back as satisfactory (don't know the exact figure) I have been taking 2 a day for 5 weeks now and although most of my symptoms have alleviated, in the last few days i have had swollen glands in my neck, stiff neck and pain when swallowing. I realise i could be some sort of cold as my ears feel under pressure, although i have no cough or blocked nose. I am concerned because i have read that too much iodine can inhibit thyroid function and i am wondering if i should stop taking it. There seems to be conflicting advice on this matter. Any views??
I think you need to post your numbers on the TSH results. I favor natural remedies - but with the thyroid you need to be under a doctors care.

Before I can answer I really need to know the last test since taking the kelp.
ok thanks! I made an error, the retest was 2 months after the first test i.e when i had been taking sea kelp for just 2 weeks. So i would have guessed it must have helped since the results came back satisfactory.
Have heard of sea kelp replacement working, but you have to have no thyroid otherwise it is VERY dangerous.  If it was me I would stop it immediately and talk to a dr about getting thyroid replacement hormones.  Insist that they give them to you or just don't leave the office until they do.

Take care of yourself and get checked out asap.
ok thanks i have stopped taking them. My doctor hadn't heard of sea kelp and considered 4.73 to be within normal range just a little high. Im feeling alright at the moment, sensation of lump in throat seems to be going. If any more hypo symptoms come back i'll definitely go back. Thanks so much for the advice!
The moderate lack of iodine in the diet is usually compensated by diffuse hyperplasia (endemic goiter) of the thyroid in people aged 25 and younger.The TSH and T3and$ readings are normal at this case (no hypothyroidism).This event is common only in the iodine defficient areas (third world countries, mountain regions,etc).In such cases the iodine suppliments are reducing goiter size, but are not affecting the hormone level.
In the places where table salt is iodized, the low thyroid function is a result of "thyroid inhibitors"--fluoride, bromide and perchlorates, certain drugs and autoimmune thyroid disease (Hashimoto's thyroiditis).
In this case the iodine suppliments will not be very effective, the key point is to avoid the ingestion of these chemicals or using selenium to control the autoimmune condition.
.
Armour Thyroid use to be a great product from 2003 to the 1970's.
My concern is why did they change something that worked for so many patients and also keep it changed when they found patients did not benefit from it.  The shortage has nothing to do with them changing it.  Why not change it back if there are so many complaints?  

Many, many, many patients are not the same anymore.  They must know this.  It is public information.  If they are in the business manufacturing this product, they MUST KNOW how patients are doing on it.

So, why all the ruckus???   Just change it back, charge more if it's about money, end of story.  

I guess it isn't that easy.  Too many companies involved, possibly with their hands in the cookie jar.  You have the suppliers for the active ingredient, the FDA, the government and the Pharmaceutical Companies.  That's ALOT of money, negotiations and time, time, time.  When do the patients matter?  Isn't that the reason why the medication was on the market to begin with?  I thought it was all about the patients first, then the profits.  Now it's about the profits first and we'll, who cares at all about the patients?  

I think the government should get involved and care about our people and country more.  Do what is right, not only base things on what is profitable.  All the politicians and pharmaceutical companies and laboratories are well established.  They have money.  What's the problem?  The consumers (patients) are the ones who are supporting them.  If it wasn't for us, they wouldn't be making any money!  WHAT ABOUT THE PATIENTS?????????  THEY FORGOT ABOUT US!!!!!