Thyroid Disorders Community
Optimal T4 Range

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

Optimal T4 Range

Just had some labwork done with the results as follows:

TSH = 0.03 mcIU/mL    reference range 0.30-5.00
T4 = 1.0 ng/dl               reference range 0.6 - 1.6

They for whatever reason did not do a T3.  I am on 100 mcg Levothyroxine and obviously my TSH is not the problem.  Is my Free T4 optimal or does that not really matter.  I do not understand why I feel so crappy and cannot for the life of me lose any weight.  At my wits end here.  Any advice/insight would be appreciated.
You say you feel crappy what are your symptoms? I don't know much but your TSH is very low but I will let the pro's talk about that. Have you had your b12, vit d, iron checked? Also your t3 is very important to have checked. I started feeling a little better on cytomel.  Also I take a great multi vitamin, b12 complex, calcium, mag, and zinc oh and vitamin d.  Be sure and get that t3 done. It could be the culprit.
Your TSH is supressed and that is where you want it, your T4 should be about half way up in its range, and that looks good, if you are still having symptoms, you definatly need to have the Free T3 looked at, you could have a conversion issue, where you are not converting T4 to T3, which is the hormone your body runs on. Your Free T3 in that case would be a much lower percentage than the Free T4 tested. Once you get the Free T3 done re-post all labs with ranges again and we can do a formula based on labs and ranges, then inform you if you have a conversion issue. This is somethong your MD should have looked into. Best Regards FTB4
I forgot to mention/explain, the medication you are on is strictly a T4 Med, it relys on your system to concert to T3, If the Free T3 test comes out lower than the Free T4 this would indicate a conversion issue. If that is the case your MD would prescribe either a Combo T4/T3 medication or as toni2251 stated, You would take Cytomel a T3 Medication in addition to the Levo.I too have a conversion issue and had the same situation as you Good Luck  FTB4
Hypothyroidism is what you have. That would explain your symptoms. Do you have other illnesses such as diabetes? Anemia? These can contribute to the way your feeling. When did you start taking levothyroxcin?