Thyroid Disorders Community
Out of controll temper

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

Out of controll temper

They told me 2 years ago I had hypothyroidism. My test numbers were 19.19. I went on Synthroid, at first 75mg a day then 100mg a day. I just went back to the doctor 3 weeks ago, with the same complaints as two years ago. My hair is falling out, depression ect. He sent me in for a TSH test and my numbers were 128.66 he said that they were the highest numbers he has ever seen. Now I am on 150 mg of synthroid a day and have to get tested in two months. But I have noticed the last 4 or 5 months my temper just gets out of hand, I get so grouchy. Today my husband and I got into a fight and I could of hit him, thats not me. And he sees it too. My sister has Graves. I also gained alot of weight. But I have been on Adapex P since June 25 and have lost 31 lbs. I am lucky I am on some weight loss meds or with my numbers this high I would weight 300 lbs. Oh my Dr. said he thinks my thyroid has quit working what can I expect with that?

Getting very worried.
The first thing that came to my mind is why would your doctor continue with the same medication that apparently hasn't worked for 2 years? Isn't it time to try something different. Maybe Armour Thyroid?
Welcome,
Yes that TSH number is VERY high and yes your Doctor is right about your thyroid gland not working.  You will likely have to take thyroid medication the rest of your life.
Not a big deal, there are alot of us are in the same boat.

Your temperment has everything to do with the fact of your malfunctioning thyroid.  It will improve as will your weight after you reach optimal treatment with medication.  Alot of weight can be water retention with hypothyroidism.  Eat healthy and walk.  In time you will feel more energetic and mood will improve.  Adjustment of medication can take months to find the best dose for you.

Waiting 2 months for a repeat of your labs is too long.  Repeat labs in 6 weeks after a dose adjustment.  Talk to your doc or if he is not cooperating go to a different doc.
Take charge of being your own best health advocate.  Read and study.  It's not hard to understand and knowledge is power.

There are many support groups on the web. Search online for them. Search for "Stop The Thyroid Madness"

Good Luck, Cindy
Oh, and ALWAYS get copies of your labwork.  You have rights to them and doctors must give them on request.  Don't accept "Your labs are normal" as an answer.
The normal range of a TSH is now 0.3-3.0 with closest to lower end of that range being best.

Cindy
Taking a stab at this -  I think your not getting tested correctly.

Yes - you need the TSH  ( and OMG are you off the chart!) but I am going to guess you are not getting the Free T3 and Free T4 tests done too.

This is just a guess - I am not a doc - but either your SYnthroid is not converting right into the Free T3 to get you better - or you could be storing the T3 hormone - either way - something is off.

What is your doctor saying?

You could consider a switch - My TSH was 62. "something" prior to my switch - and with 4 weeks on Armour I dropped down to 2.83 - Droppping that quick was hard on my body - but now that I feel stable - I knew I needed to do that.

I am experiencing the same thing! However, last year, because I have Lupus, my hypothyroidism went undetected for months!! None of the doctors thought to even test for it and I was soooo big that my eyes were mere slits. My TSH was 156! With a 0 output. I am experiencing horrible short temper (hence how I came to this site) and I can't stop it. I have a doctor that checks my levels every couple months, but never says it's up or anything. I feel like something has to be wrong so I am going to see another doctor and I think maybe you should too. I also read somewhere that it is possible that taking synthroid to fix the TSH level may not be enough; that it may be possible a prescription for medication to help with the T3 may also be needed.  Anyone else hear this? I am so new to this thyroidism stuff so any advice would be greatly appreciated!
You should always try to get a copy of your lab report, every time blood work is done.  If you are in the U.S., your doctor is obligated, by law, to provide you a copy upon request.  You should keep these for your records.

Yes, there is T3 medication available, if one needs it.  You  have to know what your actual levels of Free T3 and Free T4 are, in order to know whether or not you need a T3 med.

If you can get copies of your blood tests, you can post them here and we will help interpret them for you. Be sure to include reference ranges, since ranges vary lab to lab and have to come from your own report.