Hi. I think I can answer this. Yes, I was. There are basically two reasons people are overmedicated. The first is the patient self medicates, or the doctor overguesstimates the dose, (choosing a dose too high for patient).
For me, my doctor told me to take two doses one morning, one dose the next, two doses the next, so on... I was not comfortable doing this, but did as the doctor said. On the first day I took my two doses in the morning, and by nighttime I could tell I was very overmedicated. I could not sleep, but felt really really happy and energetic. I also felt jittery inside and had a sunburn like feeling on my shoulders and back. I remember my face was all red. Now, when a doctor suggests something that I am not comfortable with, I speak up.
People and doctors need to understand that not everyone can tolerate high doses, double doses, or start off on a higher dose than what is recommended.
The recommended starting dose is .025mcg (if you are taking levothyroxine). This dose should be taken for 4-6 weeks before increasing it to the next dose of 0.50mcg, and so forth. The medicine cannot be rushed to ease the patient's symptoms. The person's body needs this time to adjust, and if it is not allowed to adjust to each dose, you can get the over medicated symptoms.
Hope I could help. Good luck,
Did I really ask this question before? I am sorry if I did I just wanted to ask if anyone out there had the exact same symptoms as I did... I am just so confused on what happend the night I had to go to the Emergency room... So I looked up over medicated symptoms and that is what i felt exactly....
I started on .100 mcg and i think that is what really knocked me out....
I had the exact same sun burn feeling... like your shoulders were really sore...
thank you for the quick response I just want to see if anyone had the same problem
Well actually this last weekend I had to call in sick the last few days because I have been feeling really weird... a big symptom that I am having with this hyperthyroidism is that I have too much self stimuli awareness so I have been concentrating on every move of my body and every feeling so that makes me feel really weird and kinda lightheaded dizzy ya know....
So what was the range of meds that you went on... what did you start on and what are you on now...
Yeah I feel the exact same as you trust me... its like you think about the questions before you go to the doctors office, but when you get there its like they are controlling everything and you just sit back and listen.. So this is something i may need help about...
I work at the hospital that I get my blood drawn and I can accsess my information and I just looked at my TSH levels and it said .423 and that is withhin the normal range... and I still have the same symptoms... what does this mean
I was on 100mcgs immediately after having a TT. I went hypo TSH was 11. something....(don't have all the paperwork in front of me!) Then went up to 150mcgs which made me sooooo hyper TSH 0.06 and all the other stuff! Done to 125mcgs no change at all in TSH and the other stuff...so surgeon said to go to 100mcgs...like that is going to happen! So now I am trying the dose of 114.3mcgs.....space out 150 and 100 tablets over the week to give the balance. I think I will be ok on that.
I think also since in the hospital they would give me my calcium tablets at the same time as breakfast that made the absorption of the meds useless. Found that about a week before going up to 150mcgs so stopped taking calcium and having anything till about 1 hour after the tablets. No wonder I went hyper! But my surgeon doesn't think so...derrrrrrrrrr!!!!!!
Copyright 1994-2016 MedHelp International. All rights reserved.
MedHelp is a division of Aptus Health.
This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information.
The Content on this Site is presented in a summary fashion, and is intended to be used for educational and entertainment purposes only. It is not intended to be and should not be interpreted as medical advice or a diagnosis of any health or fitness problem, condition or disease; or a recommendation for a specific test, doctor, care provider, procedure, treatment plan, product, or course of action. Med Help International, Inc. is not a medical or healthcare provider and your use of this Site does not create a doctor / patient relationship. We disclaim all responsibility for the professional qualifications and licensing of, and services provided by, any physician or other health providers posting on or otherwise referred to on this Site and/or any Third Party Site. Never disregard the medical advice of your physician or health professional, or delay in seeking such advice, because of something you read on this Site. We offer this Site AS IS and without any warranties. By using this Site you agree to the following Terms and Conditions. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your physician or 911 immediately.