Thyroid Disorders Community
PAIN in the neck area

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

PAIN in the neck area

I was diagnosed with Hypothyroidism 2 years ago. About a year ago, I found out that I have a nodule on my left side of my thryroid.  I was put on levothroxine (levothyroxine) 0.50mg. On Feb 3,  2011, I had a gyno appointment for my pap. My gyno felt my neck and said my thyroid was swollen. She put in for lab work which was completed on the same day (Feb 3) I had my appointment. She told me to schedule a follow up with my PCM to get the results.

I made my appointment and visited my PCM on Feb 10, 2011. He read me the results that was from the Lab on Feb 3. I found out that my TSH was up to 6.5 and my Free T4 was at .91 (Borderline). Back in October of 2010, my TSH was 2.5 and everything else was in a good range. I also told my PCM that on Wednesday Feb 9, I had a burning feeling around my front part of my neck. I felt like I was breathing fire. My PCM explained to me that my thyroid was bleeding and that it would have to repair itself. 2 days later, the burning sensation has subdued. At the end of my appointment, my PCM told me to take motrin for swelling in my neck and that he was going to put me of synthroid and have me stop levothroxine (levothyroxine), but keep it at the same strength of 0.50 mg.  After my visit with my PCM, he sent me back to the lab, he wants to check my antibodies. I go back on the 23rd of Feb for a follow up.

Today, Feb 12 Saturday, I feel drained of energy, not wanting to do anything. I forced myself to take a shower and take my daughter to the store. After we left the store, I felt fine up until 9 pm. I started to feel pain in my neck (nothing severe) on the right side and the left.

I am scheduled for an ultra sound on my thyroid on Feb 22 and I have an appointment with my PCM on Feb 23 for follow up on my blood work. I will try to post again the results of both appointments.

I honestly feel that my medication should be increased. I am going to make another appointment this week to see if I can get an increase of my sythroid.

Has anyone experienced burning and also pain in their neck? Any issues with your Free T4?

This discussion is related to hypothyroidism, nodules, and pain in the neck.
I sympathize with you - after several months on Armour thyroid and feeling much improved from my former condition (intense fatigue, very dry skin, nausea, weight gain, muscle weakness, eye dryness, ear infections (weird at my age of 56) etc...I have a feeling of tightness and mild but unrelenting pain in my throat (thyroid location) I feel like something is stuck, like I cannot swallow a bite of food.
I have multiple nodules with one primary (largest) of 1.4 cm. It has been FNA biopsied twice (benign) The May 2010 blood work (my original diagnosis) returned with anti-TPO auto-antibodies confirming  Hashimotos Thyroiditis.
I guess I thought I was on the down-side of the disease, that my own tissue was pretty well burnt-out from the invasion of antibodies killing it off - but now I think I am going through an attack of thyroiditis (higher level of inflammation) which is causing the swelling.
So my answer is yep, I am experiencing pain and swelling - although not a burning sensation. Also, I am feeling emotionally depressed.
Is your doctor running any tests, other than TSH to test thyroid function?  You need, also, to have Free T3 and Free T4 tested.  Diagnosis and dosing of medication, should never be done, solely on the basis of TSH....   Oops, I see that you had an FT4 of 0.91; what's the reference range for that?  Reference ranges vary from lab to lab, therefore, must come from your own lab report.......

That said, if the range your lab uses is like what we see most, it will be something like 0.8-1.8, which would make your result of 0.91 very low.  You also need to have your Free T3 tested, since there may be a chance that you aren't converting the T4 to T3.  In addition, most of us find that FT3 correlates much better with symptoms, than either TSH or FT4.  

Many of us, with Hashimoto's experience the occasional "flare" of thyroiditis; my bouts are becoming less often and less severe as time goes on.  I do find that taking a daily dose of selenium helps to reduce, both, the severity and frequency.  I found, too, if I placed a cool cloth over my thyroid area, it seemed to help with the pain.  I also took, aleve to help ease the pain; however, your doctor has recommended motrin, so that's what you should use.  Be sure not to rub or irritate the thyroid area -- this seems to really get the antibodies in an uproar!!  

While getting well can be a long drawn out process, I hope you both get to feeling better soon.