Thyroid Disorders Community
PCP will not order a 24 hr. adrenal saliva test...

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

I asked my pcp if she could order a 24 hr. saliva adrenal test and was told that she couldn't (or wouldn't) order it stating that my endocrinologist should be able to take care of all of my adrenal testing.  Fantastic, right?  Considering that my old endo completely missed the Hashimoto's diagnosis, so I don't trust her and I'm waiting to see a new endo in June... either of which would probably just order a morning cortisol blood test anyway and that will turn out "normal" because extreme fatigue doesn't hit until afternoon and then I get that jolt of energy late at night!  Has anyone been able to convince their doctor to order one?  I have great insurance, which makes this all the more frustrating to have to pay for the test out of pocket.  Has anyone ordered there own adrenal saliva test?  If so do you have any recommendations?
I've  heard that the saliva test is best, but in a way, I have to question that, too, because if it were, why wouldn't doctors be willing to order it?  I know cortisol has to be tested over a 24 hr period, because of the circadian rhythm. Cortisol should be highest in the morning, as we're preparing for the day, then gradually drop off as we prepare to sleep.  

What about adrenaline, which  is the "fight or flight" hormone?  My experience was more of an adrenaline high - always waiting for the next crisis.

Most doctors will not do a 24 hour saliva test, though some will do a 24 hour urine test.  

If you want the saliva test, there are web sites from which you can order it. It won't be covered by insurance and there's a good chance your doctor won't pay attention to it.  One good site to try is healthcheckusa.
Thanks, Barb!  Is the urine test as effective as the saliva test?

I've ordered a 24 hr adrenal saliva test from a chiro I used to see for $150. It is interesting seeing where you are at compared to the suggested range for four time periods. And, my endo just said they dont use those.

I doubt any insurance will cover it. My insurance wont even cover any brands of dessicated thyroid med. Just because it works doesn't mean insurance will cover it.
I feel that way a lot but do my best to be optimistic.... its so hard! when im moody and it hits suddenly I have a real issue with controlling my mouth with my husband and he is so awesome any suggestions before he gives up???
im glad you are still fighting through all this it is so tough frustrating and confusing., keep it up
Frustrating. Sounds like time for a new endocrinologist. Even if you go on your own, you might want to get a new endo appt started with scheduling an appointment. There must be a shortage of endocrinologists. It's taking me 3 months to get an appointment with an endocrinologist. When I expressed my concerns to my PCP, all that was ordered was TSH only. I hope you're able to get your saliva test soon.
Interesting!  I started seeing a rheumatologist and a chiro a few months ago, when the endo swore up and down that none of my problems were thyroid related.  The rheumatologist has since discovered the high TPO and diagnosed me with Hashimoto's and the chiro has continued to try to reduce my pain through natural supplements and spinal adjustments.  I'll see if he would be willing to try to order the saliva test.  If not I'll just do it on my own:(  Thanks for your reply!
Thanks, Tammy!  So many doctors, so many different opinions... each pointing their finger towards another doctor to do another test, so they don't have to deal with me.  I often picture every doctor that I've been to this year sitting in a room together, trying to slug it out.  Their opinions are sooooo vastly different it would be amusing if I wasn't suffering.  I so appreciate your encouragement:)
LOL.  Shortage indeed, even though it appears that a lot of idiots are able to acquire the degree.  An endo is hard to find, a GOOD endo is a needle in a haystack.  This community recommended one near me and I'm waiting for an appointment in June.  She doesn't even have a cancellation waitlist:(  Good luck to you!  I hope the one that you're waiting for is a great one:)
I hear you there! There was a different one that I wanted to see but who knows when that appointment would have been - so I took the most recent appt.
Just as an FYI, most MD doctors don't order these tests because they are not trained in integrated medicine and don't understand it they are taught to treat symptoms and not the underlying causes or preventative medicine..thank God for Dr. OZ who seems to be breaking that stigma....Years ago I almost died because an MD told me I was "depressed" and wouldn't test me for blood sugar etc., and I had heard a radio program about symptoms and was able to order my own Test and took it to an integrated medicine doctor who told me I was the worst hypoglycemic patient he had seen and my sugar fell to 36 pts in less than two hours and 32 is comatose.  He treated me with adrenal cortex/IVs and literally saved my life but MD refused to believe I had a problem...so do your own research..
Sometimes doctors will consider ordering 24 hour urine cortisol tests instead of the saliva cortisol tests.  Might be worth a try.  
I actually ended up have to find an "LLMD" (doctor who treats chronic Lyme) and the 24 hr. adrenal saliva test is 1 of 4 tests that she automatically runs on a first time patient.  I still had to pay for it out of pocket though (insurance refused to cover it).  Anyway, now that this popped back up could you guys help me with the results?  My LLMD briefly went over them with me and recommended something called "Adrenal Support" which was just a vitamin/herb supplement.
Morning: 18 (13-24)
Noon: 5 (5-10)
Afternoon: 3 (3-8)
Midnight: 2 (1-4)
What do you guys think?  Also, what do you make of this "supplement" that she recommends?  Would a supplement suffice?  I already take more than a handful of vitamins and supplements a day!
that is too funny...I went to my doctor and told her about the spittle test ( yeast overgrowth) and I thought that it was from the medicine I was taking as I feel that my throat always has an abundance of salvia...and she told me that it's natural to have yeast in our stomach. I think the thyroid medication is causing all this stuff as I was watching Dr. Oz and they talked about it and how it's linked to Hypo-- I am going nuts...I have no idea who to turn to, Is it worth going to an Endocronologist? any comments?
Hypo creates low stomach acid in some people = what yeast likes

T3 levels create stomach acid, not T4.
I bet you crash more than most people afternoons.

Adrenal fatiuge, from normal reasons or lyme.

There are many adrenal adaptogens., I've used some. Google Dr Lam (I think).

Some Drs do the "drip bag" treatment which is more effective than herbal pills I believe.
Check out this Doc's page! http://www.wilsonssyndrome.com/