Thyroid Disorders Community
PLEASE HELP ME INTERPRET MY THRYROID TEST RESULTS!!! AM I HYPOTHYROID??...

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

PLEASE HELP ME INTERPRET MY THRYROID TEST RESULTS!!! AM I HYPOTHYROID???

TSH: 2.53
T4(THYROXINE), TOTAL: 6.2
T4 FREE: 1.1
T3 TOTAL: 79

here's my story also talking about symptoms and everything:

First off I'm an 18 year old girl. I've been dealing with all these symptoms for about a year. But they keep progressively getting worse. The doctors of course said I was depressed (which I just shrugged off and said ok even though I have no reason to be I need some kind of relief) so I tried about 5 anti-depressants with no help at all. I became suicidal because I can't handle living like this anymore. I've also suffered from bulimia for the past year but I've successfully stopped on my own for the past two months and I'm eating nothing but healthy foods. yay me :)

okay so as for the symptoms: i'm completely and utterly exhausted 24/7. i sleep alll day everyday because i don't have any energy AT ALL. the rare times i bother hanging out with my friends anymore i just end up sleeping. i always have headaches, migraines really. my hair loss is frightening, i don't shower often because i'm scared i'm going to go bald it's become so thin with how much that falls out (i orginally thought this was from the bulimia but it hasn't stopped at all and it should have at least a little since i've stopped purging). no interest in sex anymore, and i used to be a sex addict almost.. hands and feet are always cold, constipation, dry brittle hair, dry skin, very pale, nausea, acne when i used to always be praised for my clear skin, achy muscles, zero motivation, major anxiety, always feel like there's drainage in my throat, dizzy, eyes are dry and very sensitive to sunlight, and the worst one is brain fog. i feel as if i'm going mentally retarded because of it. i can't even have a conversation anymore cause i can't think of anything to say if my life depended on it. it's like my mind has just been shut off. i can't focus or do anything and the tiredness is just god damn unbelievable for an 18 year old to not even be able to get out of bed. sleeping for 20 hours and still waking up exhausted. i just graduated and i'm taking a year off of school because i barely made it to graduate high school i can't even bear the thought of college. i can't get a job because i can't stay awake! i might as well just go in a coma. i seriously rather die than feel like this any longer.

i got tested for my thyroid and i told her to do the special test because my mom has hypothyroid and hers didn't show up until she did the special t3 or whatever test. but then they called and said everything was normal...except i'm vitamin d deficient. i'm going tomorrow to pick up the results to see for myself because maybe they could of read it wrong??? who knows.

pleaseeeeeeee tell me if there's anything i can do. i seriously can't go on like this anymore. i just want my old happy self back. i want to be able to talk again and not be a dead zombie all the time. i just want to be able to wake up and start the day with no problem, go tanning go shopping hang out with friends, all the things i used to love to do and i can't even gather the energy to do them. i'm so irritable and crabby towards everyone because i'm so miserable feeling like this and no one understands! they think i can just snap out of it and get up like nothings wrong. if only they could feel how i feel for a minute they'd be bitching and complaining as well.

any comments or ANYTHING you guys have to say is very much appreciated <3 thank you!
You certainly have an overload of symptoms, many of  which could be related to being hypothyroid.  In order to best assess your status, the test results you posted need to be assessed against their reference ranges  shown on the lab report.  However, if the ranges are somewhat close to those I see listed so often, then your T4 and T3 test results would be in the low end of their ranges, which is frequently associated with being hypothyroid.  

You are missing the most important thyroid test, which is Free T3.  T3 causes the metabolic activity throughout the body.  Most of the T3 in your body is bound up with protein and thus inactive.  Only the portion that is free of protein, thus referred to as Free, is biologically active.  Scientific studies have shown that Free T3 correlated best with hypo symptoms, while Free T4 and TSH did not correlate.  Since your Total T3 appears to be very low, I expect that you will find that your Free T3 is also low in the range.  In order to confirm this, you should request to be tested for both Free T3 and Free T4 each time you go in for tests.  If the doctor resists, just insist on it and don't take no for an answer.  

While you are there, I also suggest that you should be tested for Vitamin A, D, B12 and ferritin.  Hypo patients often find these to be low as well and causing their own symptoms.  If you have not been tested for the thyroid antibodies associated with having Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, then that should be done also.  Those tests are TPO ab and TG ab.  Hashi's is the most common cause of diagnosed hypothyroidism.  These tests can often cause the doctor to realize that you are indeed hypothyroid, and in need of medication.

A good thyroid doctor will treat a hypo patient clinically by testing and adjusting Free T3 and Free T4 as necessary to relieve symptoms, without being constrained by resultant TSH levels.  Symptom relief should be all important, not just test results.  You can get some good info about clinical treatment from this letter written by a good thyroid doctor.

http://hormonerestoration.com/files/ThyroidPMD.pdf

It probably would be a good idea to give your doctor a copy of the letter and ask if he is willing to treat you clinically as described.  If not, then likely you are going to need a good thyroid doctor that will do so.

When the test results are available, please post results and their reference ranges shown on the lab report and members will be able to help interpret and advise further.