Thyroid Disorders Community
PTY wrong dose

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

PTY wrong dose

I am atypical of graves and did not lose but gain almost 20 pounds, i was allergic to tapazole, and am now on PTU, i seemed to stop gaining weight and was holding steady, but doctor increased PTU to a higher dose i have gained 6 pounds in less than 2 weeks. Is it too high a does? or I am I destined to gain weight no matter what?

I recently lost 50 pounds, and put 6 pounds back on, then decided to quit smoking and put on another 6 pounds, which i was fine with, i knew i could get the weight off again, but then graves came into my life and keep gaining, I will have the 50 pounds back on in no time, and it truly was a struggle and a great accomplishment for me to lose the weight and quit smoking (it's been 8 mos now), now i have it all stripped away, it doesn't seem fair.

so my question is did anyone out there gain weight with PTU and was it because dose was too high, my t3 and t4 have gotten better, but tsh is still 0.00?

thanks graveswoman
Yes, about 10% of Hyper people gain weight. I guess you are one of them. Also yes, increase PTU which means push you to the Hypo side that will gain weight too for some people. You said your TSH is 0.00, what are your T3 & T4 ? did you take FT3 and FT4 tests ? If you did, what are they?  Also,
Do you have any other hyper or hypo symptoms besides weight gain ??  Get as much  information together as you can and post them here, we should be able to figure out something for you..
Hooray for you to quit smoking, I have to ask, how did you do it?
I quit smoking using chantix. used it for 2.5 months then decided it was enough to do it on my own.

5/12/08
FT4 4.15
FT3 15.50
TSH 0.00

7/9
TSH 0.00
T4 F 1.0
T3, Total 117

Used 2 different labs so they breakdown things differently?
I gained another pound to day, I bought clothes for a job interview 1.5 weeks ago, and as of today they do not fit, I will go broke trying to keep up with the clothing.

I had many symptoms, digestive issues, eye issues, heart rate 111, sweating, heat intolerance. I also have a goiter.

I just need to know that the weight gain will stop.

I go see doc. at Beth Israel tuesday (boston), I am hoping she can tell me why the weight gain so rapid. and why the Tsh hasn't budged. I am sick of crying every day i wake up to find another pound has climbed on for the ride. my family is sick of my bitchiness. I have also started with insomnia, and my restless legs are back.

thanks for your help
graveswoman
From your blood test and symptoms, I can see you'er at the hyper range althrough I have to guess the test ranges. You did not post the normal range for each test, but from experience, I can guess those numbers.  both your FT3 and FT4 on 5/12 test are way too high. 7/9's result is much better,  FT4 is in normal range, but no FT3 test, T3 total is only a little high.  I guess this is because you start taking PTU after 5/12. But why TSH is still 0.00, that is not right. ask your doctor.    Since you said you have a goiter, that needs to be checked by your Endo,  You may need several tests  for that, like Antithyroid antibody, RI scan, and may be Thyroid ultrasound.. work with you doctor. About weight, average gain is about 30 to 50 pounds before it stops depends on individual.  You have to watch your eating if you are in the middle of it. It is very hard to lose weight for people with thyroid problem. So, control it early is the best way to deal with this problem. Good luck to you..
Just went to doc yesterday, guess i am on track. even though the tsh has not risen, my ft3 and ft4 have. she is cut my back on PTU and on the beta blockers, since i am still fatigued she said beta blockers can also do that, so we are weaning off of those. I am also down from 4 baby aspirin to 1 a day. i can start exercising again. My goiter has not changed. we will discuss that in october if still the same. so slowly getting back to what we can call normal with a thyroid disease.