Thyroid Disorders Community
Pain in throat - thyroid?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

Pain in throat - thyroid?

Since New Years ( 3 weeks plus) I have had a pain in the right side of my throat (Adam's apple, Thyroid region?). I can only feel discomfort when I swallow. Somethings I barely feel it, sometimes it fairly accute. As a 37 year old with pretty good health I wasn't too worried, but then I started to think what if it could be related to my smoking! I am one of those New Years resolution quitters, and although was never a heavy smoker (a social smoker, never in the house and less than 3 a day for 5 years on and off), I thought it would be a really good time to stop. Great. But now I've got this pain and pray it's not a cancer. I went to the Doctor's the other day and he wasn't sure what it was. I didn't have a cold or flu (although my step-daughter did and had a really bad throat which hurt her a lot a few weeks ago). The Doc has given me anti-biotics just to be sure but not sure they'll work since I wasn't ill. Maybe it is viral, but I mentioned throat cancers and he said he couldn't rule anything out. Nice. So I'm a bit worried. He won't refer me to see anyone else until I finish the course of Amoxycillon, so I'm very nervous and drinking tea with lots of honey to relieve the pain. Like I said, it only hurts when swallowing, and although I've felt around the area for a lump I can't find anything but it still worries me.

Has there been any blood tests run?  Did the doctor mention if your thyroid felt swollen or anything?  The only way you can know for sure if it's thyroid related, is through blood work.  At a minimum, you need to have a TSH, Free T-4 and Free T-3.  

I don't know that a referral to anyone else would be helpful until you've had blood work done to determine what type of specialist you might need.  

In the meantime, the tea with honey won't hurt you - you might even try adding a bit of lemon to it.  

Hope you get better soon.

Nope. No blood tests run. The doctor didn't mention anything felt swallen, nor can i find anything myself. Guess it's just a case of patience and lots of honey (and lemon) drinks for the time being.
I had the same thing beginning late summer of 2008 (still do).  After a visit to my primary care physician and ENT, nothing was found after a physical exam, neck x-ray and throat MRI.  At my request, my primary care Dr did an ultra-sound of my thyroid, and bingo, enlarged about 3x on the right and 1.5x on the left.  He was actually very surprised.  Thyroid antibodies were then found to be present in at least 3 subsequent blood tests.  I was told (auto-immune) thyroiditis, which I take to mean Hashi's.  So far, thyroid levels are supposedly normal, but I have a whole host of weird stuff that simply has to be related to this.  Doc probably thinks I am nuts and says to do nothing but wait.  Anyhow, got a bunch of neuro-type issues with tendons and sensations.  Neuro doc says I am fine (brain & C-spine MRI after tingling hands, wrist issues, calf/ankle twitches, weird sensations, etc).
The occasion, annoying "pain" when swallowing persists, but I ignore it for the most part.  It's the other stuff that makes me wonder???  This thyroid stuff is crazy!  Anyhow…first post for me and thought I’d respond b/c your symptoms sound very similar.  BTW…I am a non-smoker.
In the last week I have been experiencing pain in my thyroid-it's were my neck is most concave.  It feels like I have a large gumball stuck in my throat.  2 wks ago I decided to try and quit smoking so I started wearing the patch and smoking 2-4 cigarettes a day vs the 30 before.  The pain doesn't go away, it hurst badly to swallow and one day within the last 5 it didn't bother me.  I wake up in the middle of the night and it's all I feel.  I had bronchitus (bronchitis) 3 wks ago and was given a z-pack & had pneumonia in Oct-which most likely was caused from smoking.  So now I have this problem and no insurance for another month.