Thyroid Disorders Community
Panyhypopituitarism - hypothalmic too?
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Panyhypopituitarism - hypothalmic too?

I am a 59 yr old female with two children.  

I was diagnosed with an Astrocytoma of optic chiasm during my last trimester with my youngest child 15 years ago - f/up  radiation 9 months later.  Tumor returned  four months after being resected, that's why I had radiation, which shrank the tumor by 1/2 and it's still there, but has been stable for the last 12 years.  Infiltration of the optic nerves, radiating into both sides - loss of peripheral vision and diminished vision.  I have a bone marrow infarct in the left tibia from the steroids taken after my craniotomy.

Two years after radiation, my thyroid was tested due to enormous amount of weight gain which has continued over the years.  I have been on synthroid for 12 years, and due to elevated cholesterol and low Vit D levels, my dosage has been dropped to 150mcg daily.  I also take Enjuvia (hysterectomy), Claritin & Ambien.  My adrenal gland functions hover the borderline to being low.  

In April I had the sub-maxillary gland (left) removed due to a tumor found on CT Scan.  Tumor was benign. In the last 6 months I am experiencing other issues, which do not know if they are related to the panhypopituitarism (diag by endocrinologist - secondary to tumor, related to radiation treatment).  I have begun to have cold intolerance, and losing patches of eye lashes and eye brows, patches of thin/baldness on my head - maybe from the radiation, plus dry brittle nails, insomnia, and light headedness.  I am thirsty alot, urinate alot, have absolutely no sex drive, and sometimes insatiable hunger.  Other times, I have no appetite at all. My HGH levels are low, and after 6 months on Humatrope, no difference was diagnosed so I discontinued it.   Could any of this be related to damage maybe caused to the hypothalamus from the radiation?

My endocrinologist seems to wave off any problems I ask him to address concerning the above mentioned new issues.  What would or Where should I turn next?  

This discussion is related to Tyroid hypoechoic nodule - hoarseness.