Thyroid Disorders Community
Pathology report of FNA

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

Pathology report of FNA

I just have one question. My Pathology report is below.

Hypo cellular specimen

Few bland groups of follicular epithelium consistent with a benign follicular nodule.

If there were only a few cells how can they be sure this was benign? I know the DR who did the FNA said she was having trouble getting samples. The 1x2 nodule was solid.

Should I be worried that maybe there wasn't enough specimen for the pathologist to really see what was going on with the nodule.

Should a benign sample have more than a few bland cells?

Just wanting to make sure I don't need to ask for another FNA.

Any comments would be appreciated.

Tags: FNA
You may need to ask what was in the sample in addition to the follicular cells; if colloid, then the nodule is most likely of benign colloid type; if blood was present then the FNA can be repeated at next ultrasound
Thanks for your response. I had issue getting a copy of the report from the new endo I was seeing and I will not be going back to her. I guess I can try and get in contact with the pathologist who read the report and see what else I can find out. I don't understand why thats all it said. You would have thought that there was more to the samples than just a few bland groups of follicular epithelium cells. I guess I'm just real worried they might be missing something. I think next I go have this done I'll go to Vanderbilt in Nashville.

Murphy