Thyroid Disorders Community
Please post below the commonly used Namebrand & Generic Equiv. drug...

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

Please post below the commonly used Namebrand & Generic Equiv. drugs that are used to treat Thyroid Disorders ...

In an effort to gather information at our fingertips & help new community members, this information will be very helpful to refer to.   In the near future I hope to compile the drug list for us to use as an easy, reference tool! Thanks for your help!

Cheryl
Tags: drug list
Levothyroxine is the generic name for Levothyroxine. :-)

Levothroid, Levoxyl, Unithroid, Synthroid, Euthyrox, Tirosint, are all name brand drugs that use levothyroxine as the active ingredient.

I've heard of Levo-T, but I'm not sure what that falls under.
I'm sure this is only a partial list.
And that's only for one drug. :-I
This is from a post by Graveslady that I came across while searching for answers to my own generic to name brand switch...  Thought it might be helpful:  Original thread is at:  http://www.medhelp.org/posts/show/285258, if you're interested.

All thyroid hormone replacements are synthetic with the exception of Armour which is derived from pig thyroid (beef or sheep).
Generics are just a name change only, from high cost brands name medicines to low cost brand name medicines.  Just like  all other products sold here in the US: Toilet paper, clothing, clothes soaps, and foods, etc., etc., etc.  I buy a lot of generic products, which are made by brand name companies, with the same ingredients. Its the advertising of the "Brand Name" products that  is where the high cost comes from.  Generics don't carry the "Brand Name" on it nor is it advertised, therefore cost are lower.
Nearly everyone can take synthetic levothyroxine. It is identical to the body's own T4 . However, some patients thinking that "natural" means better, prefer natural thyroid hormones, which are made of desiccated animal thyroid glands.

Brand Names:
Armour Thyroid
Bio-Throid
Cytomel
Levothroid
Levoxyl
Levo-T
Naturethroid
Synthroid
Tapazole
Thyrogen
Thyrolar
Unithroid
Westhroid

Generic Name:  
Levothyroxine /L-thyroxine  (Synthroid, Levoxyl, Unithroid, etc.)
Liothyronine (Cytomel/T3)
Liotrix (Thyrolar)
Methimazole (Tapazole)
Propylthiouracil / PTU
Natural thyroid (Armour, Naturethroid, Bio-tech)
Thyrotropin alfa (Thyrogen)
Time-released T3, compounded

It is best to stick with the same medication.  However, when changing, its best to give it time to work and make sure test are done  because levels might change.  Once you are regulated on the new med. you should have no more of a problem then when on the old medication.

BTW... Where is Graveslady anyway.  Haven't seen her post in a LONG time... :-(
thanks so much! WOW ... I like to have both the generic and name-brand and US vs UK as we've done because it will help us all be able to readily see what the med is when people post ... like Motrin = Ibuprofen!

C~
we have oroxine in australia (and there's another one but sorry i cant remember it). oh yeah oroxine is one of the levothyroxine ones.
Eutroxsig is the other Australian one that jd2 was probably thinking of. I take both Oroxine and Eutroxsig. Oroxine is more the generic brand.