Thyroid Disorders Community
Poll Hypothyroid/Candida infection

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

Poll Hypothyroid/Candida infection

I like to share some information about candida and Hypothyroidism connection with my forum friends and also start this poll so we would know how many of us are having this issue..
I know MSFERGY recently start nystatin for her white tongue which may be because of candida . I am having similar issue however i have not been tested for candida but have white tongue...
There is a link i found which shows a pretty good connection of hypothyroidism with candida, please take a look and add your comments.

http://www.thyroid-info.com/articles/candidayeast.htm
Please do participate in this post so we can have more conclusive result before we talk to our doctor and have him/her test candida for us.

Please reply to this Poll so we know amount of people have this issue or it is just bogus, there is no candida with Hypothyroid
Hey, sorry, but I  have no problems with this.

GL  :)
I am glad you don't have a similar issue . Did you check that url to see if it makes sense to you.
I am trying to stop my Cymbalta (Anxiety med) and that giving me horrible symptoms , it is already 2 weeks that i am not using it, my energy is way low /muscles pain/joint pains /too much fatigue . My doctor said my TSH is 1.10 FT4 1.68 which is perfect , however i felt good when it must be higher then that  not sure number but again at time i was using cymbalta too .

I know that when I get very hypo my blood glucose is difficult to control.  When my glucose is high it feeds any yeast in the system.  I keep a bottle of diflucan around for this but by controlling my sugar I haven't had a candida problem.
Not knowing about this issue, I did read thyroid-info.com, however I prefer the below.  

quote - The common yeast infections that over 75% of all women will suffer during their lifetime are caused by tiny yeasts called Candida albicans. This same yeast is also the cause of oral thrush. Yeasts are single-celled fungi. Other types of fungi are molds and mushrooms. Fungi are more closely related to animals than plants.
An oral yeast infection in the mouth of infants and adults is called thrush. It is usually caused by the tiny yeast called Candida albicans. If the white patches are scraped away. The area underneath will be red and may bleed. People with endocrine disorders such as diabetes or hypothyroidism are the most at risk for oral yeast infections. - unquote. journal-a-day.com

quote - Virtually any bacterium can infect the thyroid. Streptococcus, staphylococcus, pneumococcus, salmonella, bacteroides, t. pallidum, pasteurella spp, multocida  and m. tuberculosis have all been described.) The subject has been extensively reviewed . In addition, certain fungi, including coccidioides immitis, aspergillus (aspergillosis), actinomycosis ), candida albicans, nocardia, acinobacter baumanii and cryptococcus  have also been associated with thyroiditis.
Candida albicans thyroiditis can be treated with amphotericin B and 5 fluconazol 100 mg daily. - unquote thyroidmanager.org

I do eat  low carbo diet and my blood sugar is low if not sometimes a tweak out of Labs low range. Due to this I crave sweets like crazy and sweets are my down fall.

Live and learn.

I know for sure you would come back with detail response , we all her proud of your knowledge and help you provide to this forum.I am male  but notice oral thrush not sure that is because of thyroid or could be because for last few months my blood sugar in fasting shows 107-109 although it is not enough much to say diabetes but still high in  fasting.
So that means there is a connection b/w candida albicans and thyroditis..
Well the Nystatin did not work just to let you know, I still have a swollen white tounge and no answers, i get teeth marks down the sides of my tounge to.
Mat try what it states above here, is that OTC stuff?
Try to use Biotein tooth paste and mouth wash. It is really working out with me although my tongue still little bit in white side but better then before.
You can find Biotein tooth paste from walgreen easily.
Thanks I will try it, is yours like fatter than before or swollen with teeth marks sometimes?
Well i don't see swollen in my tongue just a white tongue , according to my doctor doesn't look like a thrush. I found a link that shows candida inifection is related with thyroid also , check this link

My daughter has hashimotos, and yes she occasionally gets the white tongue like you would find in thrush.  I never see any signs of sores or irritation, and I don't know that it is thrush.  I have always wondered about this, so I find this very interesting--- I feed her with this consideration in mind...acidopyllus and a low carbo and sugar diet.  I don't know which came first, the white tongue or the hashis.
Have your daughter tested candida to make sure it is not the case ?.Try Biotene tooth paste it is very good i am literally have less white coating as compare to before.
Have not had a problem with this.
1 year ago I was diagnosed with graves and had a thyroidectomy  now I am hypo
I have a white toung and it hurts to eat some times I am on my 3rd try of fluconzol 150 x 10
And marys magic mouthwash.i got more relief from 50/ 50 peroxide and water Rinse.
i was treated for stepp o 4 times before i found it on the web. and think no copayfo the info
i just had to show a few doc pics and they took off my intier bill for the strep charges ,still in pain
my heart goes nuts on the zoles .
Rick