Thyroid Disorders Community
Positive ANA Titer

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

Positive ANA Titer

HI.
Without boring you all with the details, I have a question.

In 1997 when my symptoms were new, my doctor did an ANA test. It showed:

titer:    1:160    (normal <1:40)
pattern:   Diffuse

Last summer (2006), another ANA was negative.

I did read that the ANA can be positive with any autoimmune disease, including Hashimoto's.

Has anyone had this scenario?

I will be showing this to the endo next week as well.
I had a postive ANA 3 years ago. Went to rheum because lupus runs in my family. They tested again and said that I do not lupus (although I may be a carrier) and that I had thyroid antibodies that made the test positive. So, yes, I think that is possible.

On a lighter note, the rheum who told me I had thyroid antibodies told me that it wasn't a big deal and that I didn't need to do anything about it. Several weeks later, my GYN told me that I DID need to see a dr. about it. When I saw the endo, he never even told me I had hashimotos. It was a mess.

Thanks.

Doesn't it seem like like no 2 doctors think alike? You could go to 3 doctors of the same specialty and come away with 3 different diagnoses!
I have never had the same dx twice regarding my vertigo. First (1997) it was Meneire's Disease. Then in 2007, it was Migraine Associated Vertigo.Then it was not Meneire's. Later 2007, it was not either, according to a new neuro. Now, my endo thinks thyroid (for sure) and possible Neurologic Lyme.

I hear ya!
I had positive ANA’s, high titer 1:815, Hashimoto thyroiditis with TPO antibodies of more then 1000 (April 2008), TSH of 3.5;
I’ve been tested for most of autoimmune diseases (June 2008), came back negative, with TPO antibodies 1: 815 and ANA's 1:315, and TSH 2.5 (feel much better now). Today I did more analyses (Thyroid), doctor decided not to test my ANA's anymore. I feel normal again, so I'm curious about my TSH and thyroid antibodies.
Thanks. It is interesting, though frustrating.
Yes really, when I've started these exams, I never thought I had a thyroid problem, I was tired , sick, couldn't do  exercise. First doctor I went was a cardiologist, and said thyroid values were normal (TSH of 3.5), so trying to find a reason of not fealing well another doctor asked me for ANA's, C3, C4, thyroid antibodies, etc., that's when I got TPO antibodies more then 1000 and positive ANA's (fine Speckled pattern). Did ultrasound, and the results were: thyroiditis (multinodular,heterogenous and normal size). Went to the ENDO (because of thyroiditis), he saw my lab values and because of my high ANA's he wrote a letter to an autoimmune specialist in hospital. In hospital they did all kind of tests (3 vials of blood) and came all negative. So on the 30th I'm going back again to the ENDO (to show all this results), I'm sure what I felt was all because of my thyroid.
I agree.
My TSH was always 3.5-4.7 for several years. I would go to dr and have vague complaints. They would all run a TSH and pronounce me normal.
Last year, my TSH finally went above "range" at 5.96 and I was "offered" treatment by the 1st endo.
My current endo said I should have been treated years ago. (My TPOab is also +).

I have been to several specialists for strange symptoms. Dizziness being the worst for 14 years off and on. I was always tested for thyroid and Lyme.
My endo says (and I have read) that the Lyme tests being negative don't matter. He still thinks I have CNS Lyme. I will find out tomorrow at my check up. My TSH is now great at 0.93, dizziness remains. Unless it will take time to go away, there is something more going on with me.

Good luck at the Endo. Keep us posted on what he says.