Possible parathyroid issue
Hi everyone,
I'm new to this forum and have found it very useful over the past few months. I'm making more of a statement than asking a question, but my case my be useful to some people on here.

A few months back I noticed that I was experiencing muscle twitches - mainly in my calf muscles but occasionally in other muscles too (thumbs, shoulder, back, thighs, eye lid, chest).  At first I thought that this might be due to an recent increase in physical exercise as I had started to play football twice a week at work, however, the twitching continued and was most noticeable during rest periods.

I went to my GP who performed a standard blood test.  My results all came back fine except for my calcium levels which were mildly elevated at 2.7mmol.  The GP wasn't overly concerned and suggested that this could be a result of calcium supplements I'd started taking two weeks previous.  Nonetheless, he performed a repeat blood test, this time also checking liver function, inflammatory markers and bone profile.  I got the result today and everything was fine, including my calcium which is now at 2.5mmol.  A note on my record said 'no further action necessary'.

I have a theory - I think I have a parathyroid issue that recurs intermittently.  Aside from the muscle twitches, over the past 12 months I've also experienced symptoms of a kidney infection (that suddenly went away), tiredness, confusion and a general lack of interest in things.  In addition to this, I have had vitiligo for about 6 years and I read online that thyroid and parathyroid issues can accompany vitiligo.

My twitches have subsided over the past month and I'm just going to see how things pan out.  If I start getting very twitchy again I'm going to go back to the GP ask for a parathyroid test.

I thought I was going mad but I am utterly convinced that my twitches, kidney problems and other symptoms are all related!

Dan
Not enough magnesium causes a long list of symptoms but includes muscle twitching, fatigue, confusion, chronic lack of interest, indifference, or apathy.

I cherry picked this info from the advanced diagnosis page from the parathyroid website...

"Also remember that calcium AND PTH levels in normal patients are very constant from week to week, measure to measure... while those with primary hyperparathyroidism have calcium and PTH levels that go up and down from day to day, week to week. They are variable. There is no medical reason to "wait 6 months and get more tests". The patient either has a parathyroid tumor or they do not.

The key to making the diagnosis of primary hyperparathyroidism is REPEATED measures of 1) serum calcium, 2) ionized calcium, 3) PTH. Measure them weekly for 2 or 3 weeks and the diagnosis will be clear in almost all cases. Adults over 30 live in the 9's, not the 10's."
Calcium is measured in mg/dl and mmol/l if you were wondering about the last sentence.  Eg: 10mg/dL is converted to 2.5mmol/L.