Thyroid Disorders Community
Possible to be hyperthyroid with normal TSH?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

Back in May, I was diagnosed with Type 2 Diabetes, but at the same time was told that I have Thyroid Antibodies. I experience, extreme anxiety/nervousness, have for many years, was on Antideppressants for about 5 years, but about 5 weeks ago stopped, and I have a few other hyperthyoid symptoms. When I recently had my TSH tested, it was 1.3 ( scale .5 - 5.5). Today I had the doctor do some tests, looking at I beleive T3, T4, and a couple other things. Is it possible to be hyper or experienceing these syptoms (symptoms) with a "normal" TSH level, or do I need to wait for the other results? Many things I have read say that antibodies warrent somekind of action, any advice is much appreciated.

Thanks, Jason

Presence of antibodies is not enough for a diagnosis since people that show no evidence of thyroid disease and 10 percent of women in the population have antibodies, as well as other autoimmune disorders, addison's disease, diabetes mellitus, Sj
yes! It is possible to be hyper with 'normal tsh ranges'.  I was misdiagnosed for over a year because I was 'within normal ranges'.  Come to find out I had full blown thyroid cancer that had infiltrated to my neck.  I am not trying to scare anyone but I am saying that often further testing has to be done.  Mine was found with a simple blood test for thyroidglobulin levels.  Of course there are other test for other conditions/susupicions.  Just don't take no for an answer if you know that something is wrong.
Thank you both for your replys, I have been experienceing really bad nervousness. My Aunt has a thyroid issue, and I have been diagnosed with the antibodies. I guess I was wondering if you can be close to the hyper side and get some symptoms. Also I was wondering if there is somthing that might be able to take the TSH, to the high "1"/Low "2"s, to releive some of the nervousness,or if that is just not the case and my thyroid is fine.

Thanks, Jason
A TSH of 1.3 is not close to the hyper side.  Lots of Labs would consider it normal rage per their reference range. According to my Labs reference range your TSH of 1.3 would be right in the middle - perfect!

A lot of us are taking antidepressants or anxiety meds.

Today you might have normal level but 6/12 month down the line you may not, so have your thyroid test done on a regular bases so you and your doctor can stay on top of things thyroid so as to catch any thyroid problems before they get too big.

You mentioned that you had the T-4 and T-3 done along with other test, let us know how it turned out.  Get copies  of your test with the Labs reference range.

Best of Luck
I have been diagnosed with Pap. Thyroid Cancer in 92 and had the surgery and normal follow-up treatments. In 05 my Endo increased my synthroid to 275 mcgs once daily and I have been feeling quite badly since. I cannot sleep and when I do I am exhausted apon awakening. In Aug of this year I was put on Cytomel for about a month and felt as though I was in heaven I slept as a normal person would sleep. My thinking came back including my memory. I was then put back on the synthroid and once again feel badly. Could someone advise or comment please!
Pudden9
In New Zealand it has just come out that they changed the base formulation of Synthroid a cpl of years ago and over 800 people have suffered bad side effects, particularly older people.  My Mum lost her balance, had a limp, had bad memory and felt unwell.  She is now on Goldshield and is recovering very well.  In NZ our doctors's pushed the medicine buying people, Pharmac, to change and they have.  
I just have been to the dr. for a number of reasons like headaches dizziness weight loss not a very good appetite at times and other times i want to eat everything dry eyes and mouth restlessness anxiety depression not being able to take a deep enough breath fatigued  dihirriah at times nervousness fast heart beat little arythmia every now and then fever every now and then.. one day in the emergency room they found 3 nodules on my thyroid...i had a stress test done and everything and everything was okay except fast heart beat i went to the dr. he checked my tsh which was. 0.555 and my total t3 was 1.1 and my t4 frr was 1.3...they are all within normal range but my tsh was on the low side and my t4 was a little on the higher side but they are in normal range...i was wondering if they are in normal range if i could still be having these symptoms...i just have been going so crazy and people do not understand where im coming from they think its just me..can anyone help??
im 31 have syptoms (symptoms) of aryithma neverosness,anxitey rapid heartbeat went to the doctor 2 dr.s and they felt my thyroid and said that it felt a little enlarged. last month I had a test done in the er and my levels were 1.3. Wen to an anryithmia doctor today and he said the same thing that my thriod felt enlarged.. please can someone tell me what i should do..all these symptoms started last june all out of the blue and no one has any answers for me I lost