Thyroid Disorders Community
Post Surgery swelling

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and Thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

Post Surgery swelling

I had a partial thyroidectomy (right side) with large nodule removed last Monday (8/6).  Friday started with extreme swelling so much so that I had to remove the steri strips from the incision.  Today, surgeon only aspirated minimal thyroid fluid..and majority is now probably neck muscles.  The good news was all pathology reports were non carcinogen and to quote the surgeon " I beat up on your neck"   Does anyone know how long this hard lump may stay?  This even feels worse than the swallowing problems I was having before the surgery.  I had been using ice..and wondered if heat would be beneficial?  As you can tell, my surgeon doesn't give me a 'warm fuzzy' .  Any help would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks,  Marcia
Give it some time as you just had the surgery ZIt looks worse thatn it is because of the trauma of the incision.Ice packs would be better thatn heat for the swelling.Take a motrien for the pain and it should help with some of the swelling too.Hang it there.It will get better with time.
Love Venora
Thanks for the help  I kept reading about quick recovery, 1 to 2 weeks...and this swelling was causing me some concern.  I will RELAX and use ice.  Thank you so much...
Marcia