Post partial Thyroid removal Concerns
Hi all,

I recently had 1/2 of my thyroid removed.  My endocrinologist wants me to go on Synthroid.  Here is some facts.  My thyroid levels are in the low normal range.  However, my TSH level is high.  I have been researching and found that many women who have had this procedure have had issues with weight gain,  I am very concerned with this as I have been fighting weight issues for many years now.  Does anyone know if weight gain is common and if the TSH level (high) is normal at this point.  The operation was about 5 weeks ago.  Thank you!!!  
Hello, I'm no expert but I had the samething done in 2004. I also have 1/2 of a thyroid. Thats great that your doc put you on med's. My doctor jus said now I am fine after removing 1/2 of mine. He said that the other half will work for my whole body. Well now 10 yrs later I am having all kinds of symptoms, including weight gain, and hair falling out. =/ My original Endo retired so now I'm seeing one that doesnt care about me, he cares just what my labs say. Just because my labs are they say mid normal meaning almost bad, lol..idk So now I am going to see my family doctor and demand him to send me to someone that cares for both. I just thought I would tell you my story. And say thats great your doctor put you on something =)
Please post your actual thyroid hormone and TSH levels.  Be sure to include reference ranges, since ranges vary lab to lab and have to come from your own lab report.

It is not normal to have high TSH, nor is it normal to have low thyroid hormone levels.  The high TSH indicates that they pituitary gland is not satisfied with amount of hormones your thyroid is producing.

The thyroid controls metabolism and when you don't have enough thyroid hormones, your metabolism slows way down, which is what causes the weight gain.  The Synthroid will replenish the thyroid hormones and should help speed up your metabolism again.

Thyroid test ranges are very flawed for a number of reasons.  As a result, many of us find that FT4 has to be about midrange before symptoms are resolved and FT3 has to be in the upper half of the range.  So, if your levels are low "normal", meds would be indicated.  Please post thyroid test results and ranges, and we can be more specific.

Weight gain is a symptom of hypo.  If meds are adjusted properly, it should not be an issue.