Post-partial thyroidectomy

My dad recently had a partial thyroidectomy. Thankfully, the removed nodule was benign.

We got the test back this morning.  His FT3 and FT4 are in the normal range but PSH has shot up to 12!

The thing is, he isn't experiencing ANY of the typical symptoms associated with hypothyroidism.  He says he's gained 2 lbs. since surgery, which isn't exactly significant weight gain.

The endocrinologist has, of course, immediately prescribed 25 mcg levothyroxine.

Should he take it, even though he says he feels fine, has sufficient energy, etc.? It's been a month and a half since surgery.  I'm anxious that taking the med will dysregulate his health and make him feel worse.

Thanks,

Vic
TSH going up to 12 indicates that he is going hypo.  You need to talk to the endo about testing Free T3 and Free T4, which are the actual thyroid hormones.  Those results will give a much better picture of what's going on, since TSH is a pituitary hormone.

While a gain of 2 pounds may not be "significant" it could indicate that he really IS hypo.  Weight gain is often one of the first symptoms of being hypo.

IMO - he should take the med as prescribed, because it can keep symptoms from getting the upper hand.
Hi Barb,

I believe Free T3 and Free T4 were part of the test.

Free T3 was 2.17 (1.71 - 3.71 range.)

Free T4 was 0.75 (0.70 - 1.48 range.)
While both FT3 and FT4 are "in range", they are very low in the range, and, most likely, it won't be long before symptoms will begin appearing; quite honestly, I'm surprised there are no symptoms, with those levels and a TSH of 12.

If you wait until symptoms appear and get too bad, they will harder to get under control. Your dad will need to have his levels tested (make sure they do the FT3 and FT4 "every" time they do TSH.) periodically, to make sure they are adequate.  That doesn't mean just in range; that means adequate for him to feel well.  There's a chance, as time goes on, that dosage will have to be increased.
Thanks, Barb.