Thyroid Disorders Community
Post partum hyperthyroidism.

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

Post partum hyperthyroidism.

Hi. Im 23 years old. I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism when I was in highschool. I was put on .75 mcg of levothroid and my levels stayed within normal for years until I got pregnant last year. They had to continue to up my dose bc I became more hypo during pregnancy. My son was stillborn at 22 weeks, I was put back on my pre pregnancy dosage and my levels went back to normal. 4 months later I conceived my 2nd child. Once again they upped my meds because I became more hypo. Checked levels once each trimester and were normal. Had my son at 37 weeks, hes 6 months now and I have been hyper since I had him. My meds have been adjusted a bunch of times and the drs scannot seem to be able to regulate it. I have bad anxiety so im always worrying i have cancer or something God forbid. But did anyone have a problem similar to this or know anything about this? Im not sure why this is happening, the nurse says sometimes a pregnancy changes your metabolism and the meds dont work right but I never feel good, rest of my blood work is normal and im worried. help plz.
I am very sorry to hear you lost your son. Unfortunately it is something that does happen to some women when they are hypo during pregnancy.
  Have you had your Free T4 and Free T3 checked? It could well be that you aren't converting the medication and have this be of benefit to you.
Have they done an anti-bodies test too? It could be that you have Grave's disease and the medication is not working for you. It is common during or after a pregnancy to have this disease present itself.
  Don't fret too much, we are all here to help out.
I just posted...i've had a somewhat similar story postpartum.  I sympathize...it is hard enough doing night feedings and being a new mom without feeling like your health might not be quite right.

I've been "hyper" following two pregnancies now (b/c of too much thyroid treatment) and it DOES worry you!!!  I am right there with you!  You are not alone!

I highly suspect my levels have been fluctuating since pregnancy...add breastfeeding to the mix and it seems like it is hard to get the right level...the docs said I didn't need to be tested for another year...but I just still don't feel right...so back for more blood tests I'll go...

I hope that they get it right for you soon!