Thyroid Disorders Community
Post thyroidectomy medication

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

Post thyroidectomy medication

I underwent total thyroidectomy (for inoccuous cystic swelling) last June, and had been asked to take Eltroxin 200mcg daily, and regulate according to pulse rate. I reduced to 100mcg, and my pulse rate remains 84/min. In Jan 08, I got my thyroid profile done: TSH 6.28 mIU/L (0.27-4.20 normal) and Thyroxine 18.9 pmol/l (12-22.0 normal). Serum calcium and phosphorus within normal limits. I am given to understand that TSH is a sensitive marker.

How will you advise me to take Eltroxin ( I find pulse rate increases if I increase the dose of Eltroxin)
What amount of Calcium and D3 should I take

I am 55, M, not a diabetic or hypertensive.

Thanking you in advance,

Best rgds,

tomsant
You want your TSH to be around 1.0 or 1.5.
A Free T4 test should be done at the same time.

Dosing yourself by pulse, at the doctor's instructions, is beyond primative. What country do you live in?

Was January your first bloodcheck since the operation?

Your calcium and D3 needs should be determined by blood tests.
You indicate your calcium falls within test ranges, but do you know what the test result was, and what the lab range is?

Welcome to the board. Sorry if I sound rude. It's not directed at you personally.
I would have replied in detail privately to you. You don't sound rude, in fact, your reply reflect my own feelings.. :-)

Best,

tomsant7
Well, you can contact me privately by holding your curser over my name, and then choosing the option to go to my personal page or sending me an internal message from the box that pops up.

We can discuss it here if you do not feel awkward doing so. I assume you do not live in the United States, because you are taking Eltroxin.

I assume that you are not getting bloodwork done very frequently as you have only mentioned one set of tests.