Thyroid Disorders Community
Post total thyroidectomy side effects

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

Post total thyroidectomy side effects

I am trying to unravel a mystery in my life.  in 08/10 I had my total throidectomy followed almost immediately by my inabilaty to close my jaw.  Out of the blue I had a drastic open bite, which I still have today, rendering it impossible for me to close the teeth in the front of my mouth, and connect only with a couple in the back for mashing, making it very difficult to chew.  I have spent alot of time pureeing my food when it gets to difficult or painful to eat.

This comes with neck and jaw pain, difficulty swallowing, and migraines.  It is also embarrassing, I no longer smile when a picture is taken, actually I look away.  There are no pictures of myself and my husband together from my own wedding day because refused to have one taken, when I see photos, I no longer see the woman I always was.  That may sound vain, but it runs far deeper than that.

As a footnote, I was raised with good dental hygiene, and never had anything but a perfect bite  Never needed braces or a retainer, my teeth came in very well.  My dental care has fallen to the wayside as I am on disability for several illnesses and Medicare will not touch maxillofacial surgery, which is what I think I may need here.  Please help?  Could something have gone wrong with my surgery to cause this?
Tags: thyroid surgery, open bite, misaligned jaw
I found a very informative comment on the Cancer Compass forum....

"RE: Thyroid cancer and TMJ (Jaw Pain) issue

About a week after my surgery for TT my jaws began hurting when I swallowed something.  Pretty soon it didn't "just" hurt but the pain would build so that I'd end up holding my head in pain.  My surgeon thought it was from the temp trach tube, but it hadn't bothered me up to that point.  

I went to urgent care next night it was so bad and the Dr. asked me if anyone had checked my calcium levels.  Your parathyroids, behind your thyroid, is what controls your calcium level and the nervous system, not bones is the #1 function of calcium. If they get damaged or shocked they can't regulate your levels and the Dr. said I was on my way to Lock Jaw.

I'm taking 1500 mg calcium per day which also has 400 iu Vit D for absorbtion.  Not uncommon of problem, but seems alot of people write it off as something else.  No prob since.  Normal level is between 8.4 and I think about 10.  Mine was 6.6. Get your calcium level checked to rule that out before assuming something else as it was an easy fix once someone knew something about this. CLL"
Just to add, healthy adults live with calcium levels in the mid 9's (measured in mg/dL).