Thyroid Disorders Community
Postpartum Thyroiditis

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

Postpartum Thyroiditis

I was just told yesterday that I have Postpartum Autoimmune Thyroiditis.  My TSH is .01.  I feel like I am on speed,Im not sleeping well and this morning have woken up with nausea.  My question is will they give me beta blockers? I have an appointment with a specialist on Monday, my primary doc offered me beta blockers and I told him I would wait to see what specialist told me.  I also have PPD, now I am pretty sure the two are related.  My most troubling symptoms are anxiety, panic attacks, sweating, and racing heart.  I have read about thyroid storm, how common is this? Like I said I panic easily so now I'm freaking out about that. Also what will my treatment likely be for this?
Do you know if you have Graves Disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis or both?  

Have any tests been done besides TSH, such as Free T3 and Free T4?  If you  have other test results, please post them, along with reference ranges, which vary from lab to lab, so must come from your own report. Do you know which antibody tests were done?

It's possible that you may be given beta blockers for the racing heart; there are some of us on the forum who are on them.  Your treatment will depend on which autoimmune thyroid disease you have and what your actual thyroid hormone levels are.  Looking at your TSH and your symptoms, it sounds like you are hyper.  If your actual thyroid hormone levels (Free T3 and Free T4) are too high, you may be given a medication to bring those levels down, which should alleviate the other symptoms.  You are correct that your PPD is most likely related to your thyroid.

One thing you need to make sure of ---- do NOT let them base your treatment only on the low TSH level.  Treatment based solely on TSH, is nearly always a recipe for disaster. Insist on having both Free T3 and Free T4 tested, if they haven't been already.

Do make sure you get a copy of all labs that are done, for your records.  Your doctors are obligated to provide you copies upon request.

Free T4
(0.5-1.6)
2.3

T3
(59-174)
229

TSH
(0.34-5.60
.01

A Micro AB
(<35)
411
There is another one on the results, I can't read it...don't understand it.  
Do the beta blockers help?  I also take Zoloft 50mg and Klonopin .5mg as needed, which ends up being about twice a week or on good weeks none at all.  I am so ready to get this under control.  I am 6 months postpartum with a beautiful happy baby boy.  I feel like I have been on a roller coaster ride.  I thought in the back of my mind this whole time that something else was wrong, that this wasn't just depression.
After reading some of the stories on here about thyroid and how hard it can be to get under control I am starting to think I have no idea what I am getting myself into.
My heart rate is 100 and I am laying down.  My BP is normal though.  My doc called me in a beta blocker.  I feel awful, I'm afraid to get up and do much because my heart rate will get even higher.  I went and had a EKG done yesterday and this was right before I had the diagnosis of hyper, and the EKG was fine.  Should I worry about this continued elevated heart rate?  It scares me.