Thyroid Disorders Community
Postpartum onset Grave's - transient, or permanent?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

I am one year postpartum and recently diagnosed with Grave's disease.  My symptoms started at 10 months postpartum, but were initially dismissed (by both myself and my intial doctor) as typical post-pregnancy symptoms.  

I have a TSH of 0.02, T3/T4 haven't been done yet...but my thyroid receptor antibodies are positive (moderate titer).  

What are the chances tha this far out, and for this long (~3 months now), that this could be transient and that I will return to a normal thyroid state? (until the next pregnancy of course)

I see an endocrinologist in a couple of days, and have been reading articles...but haven't heard much about whether this type can be transient as well...  Any experiences?
Once you have Graves' disease, you have it for life.  Antibodies may go into remission, but they never go away completely.  Symptoms will come and go if your antibodies go into remission.

Your endo will probably do a TSI test (thyroid stimulating immunoglobulin), which is the definitive test for Graves' and will confirm it.  In addition, he should test your free T3 and free T4, which are the actual thyroid hormones and much more indicative of thyroid status than TSH.

There a a couple of transient types of thyroiditis (DeQuervain's and silent), both of which can have a hyper phase followed by a longer hypo phase.  However, in both of these, antibodies are negative.  

hi i also got graves 10 months after the birth of my little girl,was on med's for 20 months but off them now 10 months in remmision,it was a long road with plenty of bumps on the way but thank god it's worked out well.make sure you keep an eye on your blood's get them tested every 6 weeks in the beginning,cause if your on med's for a while you can go underactive , keep you own little record on how your feeling at the diffrent tsh levels.hope you feel better soon xx take care anmarie
I was diagnosed with graves as well when my son was about 6-7 months old.

Ended up having TT.
I was diagnosed with graves as well when my son was about 3 months old... The Endo  made me believe it could be transient but when I changed Doctors the other one told me that 99% of the time is permanent.  I hope yours is not.
I'm having problems now trying to have another baby... two miscarriages in less than 3 months due to thyroid antibodies.
My tsh is 0.02. My t3 and t4 are normal. My thyroid scans show several hot nodules with a multinodular goiter in the right parathroid. My thyroid antibodies are within normal range. I have been told by my family physician that this looks to him like Grave's disease. I have maintained 123-125 pounds for the last two years but have suddenly gained almost 10 pounds in the last month. My first appointment with the endo is Feb 10th, I can't wait! But I'm tired of all the fatigue, muscle pain and chest pain!! Does everyone experience the severe chest pain? Is this normal and does it appear that I have Graves?
Hmmm...it seems like "remission" is really the term that I was after...  

My husband and I want to have a second child...within the next year, and this Grave's diagnosis is complicating that plan.  I'm trying to figure out what my chances are of going into remission with a year of med treatment...   I've met with my Endo, and I know what he told me (about 30%) - but I'm looking for stories?

And when/if the thyroid behaves (or is made to behave, with radioiodine)...how big of a problem are the antibodies during trying to conceive, and while pregnant?

Wait on your diagnosis of Grave's from your Endo...BUT...call their office and telling that you are having cardiac symptoms ASAP.   You need to see somebody and be evaluated for that immediately.   Hyperthyroidism (of any type) can lead to cardiac problems.   They may refer you back to your primary, or to an ER...but you need to see somebody NOW.

(For comparison, my symptoms are considered "moderate"...and I experienced them for 3+ months, but NEVER experienced any chest pain...)

Call TODAY.
well it took me 20 months on med's but everyone is diffrent.my endo  told me i had a great chance of remmision hi 50% at my second vist to him.i have no goiter or eye problem.i hope you are as luck as i'am to go into remmision ...take care annmarie
I agree that you ought to see your doctor about your chest pain.  They're probably related to thyroid, but you should eliminate other possibilities.

Has your doctor run TSI test (thyroid stimulating immunoglobulin)?  That is the definitive test for Graves'.  Were TPOab and TGab both tested?  Some of us have elevated TPOab, some TGab, and some both.    

Also, can you post FT3 and FT4 levels along with reference ranges that have to come from your own lab report because they vary lab to lab.  If you don't have them, you can call your doctor's office.  They have to provide them upon request.