Thyroid Disorders Community
Pre / Post Surgery Vitamin Protocol

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

Pre / Post Surgery Vitamin Protocol

If you are at all a believer in Vitamins, here is what I was given in terms of pre / post surgery protocol:

Pre Surgery (as much as two weeks prior):
High Potency B Complex 50mg 2 x day
Vitamin C with Bioflavonoids 1000mg 2 x day
Vitamin E 400 IU 2 x day
Zinc 25mg 2 x day
Fish Oils (take as many as it says on the bottle - some say 3 a day, some say 4)
NOTE:  STOP TAKING VITAMIN E AND FISH OIL AT LEAST 4 DAYS BEFORE SURGERY

Post Surgery (resume 48 hours after surgery):
High Potency B Complex 50mg 1 x day
Vitamin E 400 IU 1 x day
Zinc 25mg 1 x day
Fish Oils (take half as much as it says on the bottle)
So half all vitamins, EXCEPT Vitamin C after surgery, and this should continue for 2 weeks.

Also, and this is very important, go into surgery HIGHLY HYDRATED.  Drink a minimum of 2 litres (8 cups) of water a day for the entire week before surgery, until midnight before your surgery.

LASTLY, two things to do post surgery:
Take deep long breaths as soon as you are able to , do this every hour for at least a minute or two to get oxygen deep into your lungs and throughout your body
Get up as often as you can and walk, right after surgery.  Many short walks are better than few short walks.

Okay, I think that's it.  

I'm thinking of you all!  
I should add that IF YOU HAVE CONCERNS AT ALL regarding vitamin / medication contradictions, please speak to your doctor.

However, I was assured by my doctor (and she's an old fart) that these vitamins can only do good in preparing your body for surgery, and for helping your body recover afterwards.

D
My doctor told me to discontinue multivitamin and Vitamin E one week (7 days) before surgery. They can thin your blood and cause too much bleeding during surgery.  Also, no herbal teas one week before surgery.

I wasn't told anything else about vitamins, I'm afraid.  Nor hydration, but that does make sense. I drink a lot of water, anyway, so that part will be easy!

Thanks for sharing, D!
Really, all vitamins 1 week prior?  

Everyone should take their Doctor's advice, for sure, above and beyond what anyone else says.

Sorry, I was just trying to help!  

D
I only take a multivitamin, and it contains Vitamin E...so they told me to stop taking it.  I'm not sure what the protocol is on individual supplements, though, it may be different.

Sounds like you have a wonderful doctor who is looking out for how you handle the trauma of surgery and recovery - that is wonderful!!

You were helpful - I'm headed to fill up my water bottle again right now!  =)
My surgeon was so concerned about me being hydrated he had me go in the hospital the evening before and get hooked up to an IV.  I also had hyperparathyroidism, so that played into things, but still it points out that having plenty of fluids beforehand can't hurt.

Walking afterward is a good idea - even though it's absolutely exhausting to do so.
It is wonderful to hear of your doctor looking after your physical health in addition to surgery as most doctors are only taught about 15minutes of nutrition in all their years of study(if their is a doctor on this website I will stand for correction) I don't know if it has changed in the last 5 years but I was going to do Homeopathy and one of the things we were told that doctors learn nothing about nutrition. As anyone would know if your body is not in top condition when you go into surgery your recovery time is lengthened and your outcome is not as good if you body has nothing of substance to work with to do the repairs that are necessary after surgery and to fight infections that are always present in hospitals.
everything said sounds really good except for the fish oil. I would be concerned on not stopping that totally for a while. Fish oil thins you out pretty much and will cause bruising pretty bad.  Maybe there is a pro instead of this con. I am not sure and haven't had to face surgery yet