Thyroid Disorders Community
Protandim -- Is it helpful?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

Protandim -- Is it helpful?

Has anyone used Protandim (enzyme activator and glutathione booster) for hashimoto's?  And with what results?  thank you -- Rosamic
A quick google search brings up a list of sites with words like "scam" and "claims debunked" in them.

“…the Protandim website has since modified its claims, admitting that Protandim may provide no health benefits at all.”

You might get more feedback on something like this on the alternative medicine forum.
Goolara,
thanks for the quick reply.  
I've been reading the abstracts of the peer-reviewed articles through PubMed, university studies and publication in some serious medical journals.  The claims, of course, can be inflated and might not work for everyone.  Two aspects of the research interest me: the boost in glutathione and the affect on gene expression resulting in a boost to SOD (superoxide-dismutase) and thus antioxidant activity.
The fact that the ingredients are herbs and spices used in traditional Eastern medicine is also encouraging.
I'd love to hear from someone who's tried it -- besides a good friend whose life has been changed by Protandim.
Best,
Rosamic
Hi Ro5amic,
I was wondering if you ended up trying the Protandim for hashimoto's.  I have a friend with Hashimoto's, along with dysautomnia and erytheme multiforme and a brain tumor.  Has the protandim helped you at all?
RE: Protandim and your friend with Hashimoto's ~~~  I have been taking Protandim for a couple of months and I don't know whether to attribute some changes to that, or not.  Your friend should see whether the individual ingredients are recommended for his/her ailments, which sound numerous.  ASHWAGANDHA is in the nightshade family.  Bacopa Monnieri is perhaps a T-4 stimulant, i.e., helpful for hypothyroidism.  I guess my conclusion would be to be cautious.  I'm sorry about your friend being ill.
Best, Rosalind