Thyroid Disorders Community
Question about CT scan and size of thyroid mass
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Question about CT scan and size of thyroid mass

I had a biopsy done on some nodules in May 2009 , no cancer. Since then, the nodule shave gotten larger. I went Sunday to the hopsital where they  did a CT scan and came back and said they thought it was cancer, and it was now a mass size 6.5 cm. Can they tell if it is cancer by a CT scan?? Also, they did  look at the vocal cords, which are fine. I go Nov. 9th for an appt. and was jsut wondering, if you can  tell my the Ct scan, I thought you always needed the biopsy to determine cancer.
Related Discussions
929504_tn?1332589534
Nodule do grow quite large at times and 6.5cm is very large...surprisingly it doesn't effect you as far as swallowing or wearing items around the neck area??. CT Scan can determine if their are any abnormal cells involved, however to determine if they are cancerous, a Fine Needle Aspiration Biopsy if Recommended which is when a needle is applied to the nodule directly and fluid/tissue is drawn out to be tested. I've had three of them before I had a Total Thyroidectomy due to Abnormal Cells that turned out to be "non" cancerous...but due to the size of mine alone "3.7CM" that was cause for removal beside the abnormal cells on both side (right and left) of my thyroid.

Be sure to ask questions and i'm sure that they will do an FNA to determine the outcome of the cells. Keep in mind as well that all fna's are not 100% accurrate therefore as least two different opinions are recommended.
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Thyroid Disorders Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
233488_tn?1310696703
Blank
New Cannabis Article from NORTH Mag...