Thyroid Disorders Community
Question about levothyroxine and calcium

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

I began taking the smallest dose of levothyroxine a few months ago. I know I'm not supposed to eat about an hour after I take it. However, I seem to have a problem with getting myself to take the medication when I wake up everyday, especially at the same time. So sometimes I will eat and than wait an hour or two and take it and not eat for another hour for it to absorb. I was wondering if this is still effective, or if what I'm doing is pointless?
I also read on the packet given to me from the pharmacy that I should not consume anything with calcium in it up to four hours after taking this. As it decreases absorption. What are some things others out there on this medication have for breakfast or lunch? I usually eat yogurt or have something that is quick to eat and healthy, like a cliff bar. I would rather not continue doing this. Any help would be great, thanks.
Hi, the recommendation is too not take anything for 30 minutes after taking the meds.  But the main thing is to be consistent.  Then even if you eat, you always eat and your levels will be stable and your meds will be adjusted on this basis (you may need a slightly higher dose than if you took it without food).  The requirement not to take calcium is not to take calcium supplements, in particular.

Again, it doesn't matter so much how you take it - just matters that you be consistent.

I always take my thryoid meds just before breakfast and have done so for 12 years now.  I don't have time to wait after getting up and taking meds to eat.  If this were the case I wouldn't be able to eat breakfast every day.
My med says to wait 30-60 minutes so I get up, get the coffee going, then jump in the shower and start getting ready for work.  30 minutes goes pretty fast, when you aren't watching the clock.  

The insert on my med says not eat or drink anything with calcium OR take calcium supplements for at least 4 hours after taking the med.  I guess you could just adjust the med accordingly, but it works out for me to have something other than cereal, yogurt, etc for breakfast.  

I usually boil several eggs on Sunday and keep them in the fridge - then when I get ready for breakfast, I can just have a boiled egg and slice of toast or some fruit, etc with my coffee.  I hold off on the calcium containing items until later in the day - around noon or so and can still get in enough servings/day.  

Like Sally said, though -- the main thing is to be consistent -- whatever you are going to do, do it the same every day and at the same time, then your meds can be adjusted accordingly.