Thyroid Disorders Community
Questions about Hashimotos's Thyroiditis

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

I HAVE HASHIMOTO'S THYROIDITIS AND MY TSH LEVEL WAS 15.34  HOW BAD IS THAT?  HOW LONG WILL IT TAKE TO GET BACK TO FEELING BETTER.  MY DR PUT ME ON 100 MCG TO START.  RIGHT NOW MY THYROID HURTS REALLY BAD.  I HAVE SWELLING IN THE JOINTS AND PAIN.  BAD FORGETFULLNESS.  AS WELL AS SEVERE FATIGUE.  AND CRAMPING IN MY MUSCLES.  I HAVE GAINED SO MUCH WEIGHT I DON'T RECOGNIZE MYSELF AND JUST GENERALLY FEEL LIKE CACA.  MY GP DIDN'T ORDER ANY OTHER TESTS OR REFER ME TO AN ENDO.  SHOULD I START SEEING ONE OR CAN MY GP TO WHAT IS NEEDED TO TAKE CARE OF THIS DISEASE?
A TSH of 15.34 is bad enough, but it could be a lot worse.
You are very short on hormones and probably have been for a while.

100mcg sounds like a large dose to start you on, but he's seen your tests and I haven't, so maybe it is apropriate. You should retest again six weeks after starting the med.

Your doctor can treat you, but you may have to tell him what tests you want run. You didn't mention a Free T4 test, so I hope he ran one.

If you have a good doctor he can run about any test you need, up to a point. If your doctor doesn't know much about Hashimoto's, then an Endo might give you better treatment.

Feeling a little better should take about two weeks. Feeling a lot better could take months.
He didn't run any other tests the only thing he did was rerun the TSH test on the same blood he took from me the first time they did the test to make sure it wan't an error in the first test.  He wants me back in 7 weeks to retest the TSH.  I was the one who asked the nurse to run the TSH test due to my thyroid hurting severely and it still hurts and now I think it is starting to enlarge on the right side.  I don't have to have a referral to see a specialist or for my insurance to pay for it so maybe I should see and Endo since he doesn't seem to want to run any other tests.
when i was first diagnosed my tsh was 67, it took two months to regluate.
Hi.  I hope you are feeling better.  My TSH was 129 when I was diagnosed and within 2-3 weeks of meds, I was feeling better.  

Thanks to AR I learned about having the Free's tested and after months of begging, my Dr finally tested them.  
I was taken off 100mcg of Synthroid for a procedure. My TSH rose to above 40.0, but I forget the exact number.

After I started back on the 100mcg dose, it took about a week to come down to 5.0, and a couple more weeks to come down to 1.0.

When you go back in six or seven weeks, ask for a TSH and a Free T4 test. If you start having strange heart symptoms or get real shakey (shaky) before then, call the doctor and get retested sooner.