Thyroid Disorders Community
RAI or not?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

RAI or not?

Hello, I just joined this website. I am 27 years old. I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism and hashimotos in July 2010. In Feb 2011 I had a miscarriage and shortly after that found out that my Biopsy was positive for Papillary Carcinoma. It has been tough. I got a TT on March 21 and kept being told that after that I would prob be done and not need RAI. Pathology report came back and of the 1cm nodule in my thyroid only .5cm was papillary cancer. The one thing I didn't like hearing was that it was not fully encapsulated and some surrounding fatty tissue had papillary cancer. Positive was that none of the lymph nodes that surgeon took out had cancer. Now I was recommended to get RAI. I have decided to get 2nd opinion at Sloan Kettering. I have read so many positives that this is the "best" cancer to have--although I dont feel great most of the time. Anyways, i have read such bad stuff about RAI. I have 2 young children and dont want to have to be away from them for 2 weeks. I keep feeling like I have cancer everywhere and keep thinking that maybe this cancer is gonna kill me. Can someone please encourage me. Anyone had thyroid cancer that was not encapsulated and they decided to not go with RAI and they are fine. I need some good and informative advice please help. I have gained about 15lbs since March and I always feel so tired and just not myself. Thanks to my fellow thyroid cancer survivors or doctors that respond to me.
Hi, I've never had thyroid cancer and hopefully others will chime in. I HAVE heard of ppl opting not to get RAI(only surgery) and being cancer free several yrs later, and I've heard of ppl who had both and it still returned, so there really is no easy answer. Some ppl want to feel doubly assured that it's all gone and will have both,(surgery&rai) but if your doc is telling you there is no need for RAI(REMEMBER docs are usually the ones who take the ''better safe than sorry approach b/c they don't want to get sued, so if they recommend against something they have good reason) and your gut is telling you the same thing, follow your gut. If you pray, follow the Holy Spirit.