Thyroid Disorders Community
Radio iodine and strange taste in mouth

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

Radio iodine and strange taste in mouth

I had a total thyroidectomy this year followed up by the radio iodine treatment 3 weeks ago. A couple of days after taking the capsule I started experiencing a strange salty taste in my mouth and it just seems to have got worse ie dry mouth and tongue all the time and sometimes sore. Anyone else experienced this?
Yes I did after RAI -  I found it was due to a decrese in saliva production. No one told me that after RAI you needed to drink anwhere from 8 to 12 glasses of water daily and my saliva ducks became very blocked.

Until you get them to flow right again you will have that salty and metal taste on your mouth and could go to a point of burning tongue if you don't get those glands to reproduce saliva.

Anyway - that is usually the case - I can't speak for sure this is what your situation is - but it wouldn't hurt to try it.

Also were you on a low iodine diet prior to RAI?

Avatar n tn
Thanks for that. I had heard you had to drink water after but not told officially you had to do it for so long after RAI.
Yes I did go on the low iodine diet prior to RAI.
Their is a mouthwash called First and that helps unclugg your Saliva gland that is just below the ear. Thats what my doctor gave me after my RAI I didn't know at the time to suck on lemon hard candy to prevent that from happening. It will take some time to get back to normal.
I experienced this about 6 months after RAI.  It helps to massage the area of the glands and apply warm compresses.  The salty taste is from when the blocked duct releases the built up saliva.  Some doctors do no recommend the sour candy, as they say they want the glands to get working on their own.  
Trish
I lost my true sense of taste for about a year after my first RAI dose.  It did come back, slowly which wasn't much fun 'cause I had a craving for sushi after RAI and it didn't taste good at all.  :-(

Gargle and rinse with a salt water solution a few times a day - it helps.  Also drinking all that water is a MUST.  Suck on sour candy or drink lemonade to get the salivation going too.  It will come back - it's just slow.

Hang in there!
I too had RAI and because of my levels being high ...had the 'fat swollen neck' feeling.
I tried the hard lemon candies and thought I would choke so sucked on lemons instead.
Worked like a dream.
Try that along with the water.

Hugs