Thyroid Disorders Community
Radioactive Iodine Pill and pets in the home

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

I have to take the radioactive iodine pill in a medium dose. What do I need to know before I take it? What do I need to do and know to prepare?     I have pets in my home (adult cats).    Will I have to stay arms length away from them for a few days or do I have to stay completely away from them in a different location?  If I avoid close contact with them,how long do I have to do this for?   Thank you, lauradean    
Tags: cats
Your doctor should give you an information packet to inform you of the cautions.

2 to 3 days of not having contact with anyone is best.

Prep would be make sure you have disposable items like eating items, sheets available.

Those are just a few tips.

You dont need to go somewhere just so concern and avoid things. After the days are up - make sure everything is cleaned and thrown away.

Please do not go to a hotel either. They are not equiped and the room will be exposed to RAI for the innocent people after you