Thyroid Disorders Community
Radioactive Iodine Treatment

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

Radioactive Iodine Treatment

In two days I am having the iodine treatment for hyperthyroidism.  In some ways I am excited because I have been feeling so poor lately that this treatment gives me hope.  First I was wondering if others have had this treatment and how do they feel now.  I have some concerns because they say people with Hyper will have lots of energy and I have none.  My heart races all the time and my body shakes but I have no energy and feel very achy all the time.  It seems I have symptoms for both Hypo and Hyper but I only tested for very High.  

Any input will be greatly appreciated.  
First remember EVERY one reacts differently to certain treatments.

I had it done for hyper/graves almost18yr ago. I will say I did end up with thyroid eye disease & issues with my salivary gland years down the road. The treatment did not help me so I ended up having a TT about a month later.

I don't recall feeling weird or anything from taking it.Then again it was almost 18yrs ago.
I felt like you when I was hyper - fast beating heart, short of breath, and always feeling drained plus sleeping problems; it wasn't pleasant.  When I was subclinical I was okay but the symptoms progressed.

I did RAI for a toxic nodule, and researched that it was pretty uncommon to get the eye disease, but can happen.   They may put you on beta blockers for your fast heartbeat?  I put myself in a separate room in the house with my laptop, tv, books, food for breakfast, lunch and snacks and my family left dinner up the hallway in the evenings.   I did drink extra water to flush the RAI through my system quickly (and chewed gum to keep the salivary glands working, although I did read that blocked glands are unlikely to happen to those of us taking lower doses for hyper rather than the higher doses for ablation after TT).    The scariest part was being scared!!

Probably about 3 weeks later I panicked a bit when my heart raced (I wasn't on beta-blockers), but by the time I got to the doctors I was calm again, so could have been a panic attack.   They seem to expect a lot of people to go hypo within the first 6 months, but it took me a year, and, after the first 3 weeks or so after RAI, I felt better and better (until I started going hypo and have had my moments, but still working, and of late feeling great).    To date, I don't regret it.   I had 15 mci, after deciding to do the RAI instead of surgery.