Thyroid Disorders Community
Radioactive Iodine...Oral Sex

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

Radioactive Iodine...Oral Sex

I received radioactive iodine treatment 8 days ago (# day in isolation in hospital) and my girlfriend performed oral sex on me today to completion (she swallowed) will she be okay from the radiation?
I was 3 days in isolation in the hospital....this was for thyroid cancer.
Well, below are the the guidelines for exposure after RAI (from the ThyCa website).  I'd say you probably violated many, if not all, of the protocols.  Call your doctor or the nuclear medicine department at the hospital - you may have just fried her thyroid.

Minimize contact (less than 3 feet or 0.6 meter for more than 1 hour each day) with everyone for the first five days, and with small children or pregnant women for eight days.

Do not sit next to someone in an automobile for more than one hour.

Sleep in a separate room and use separate bath linen and launder these and underclothing separately for one week.

Wash your hands with soap and plenty of water every time you use the toilet.

Rinse the sink and tub thoroughly after using them.

Use separate eating utensils or disposable eating utensils. Wash eating utensils separately for one week. Do not prepare food for others.

Flush toilet 2-3 times after use for two weeks after discharge.

Males should sit when urinating to avoid splashing for one week.

Discuss with your doctor how long you should wait before starting a pregnancy after your treatment (usually at least two months for males and six months for females).

If you are breastfeeding, it should be discontinued, but can be resumed for subsequent childbirths.
AR, I am leaving him to you.  I'm off to hit my head on the wall.
This is the funniest post I have ever seen. LOL!!

Except it's not. Didn't you get the memo about the RAI tending to collect in the testes?

You should hold off on that activity for a bit, my friend, for the health of your girlfriend.

Welcome to the forum.
I think you're going to get a nickname...
You're right of course, Utahmomma.

Guy, you sound like you haven't been following proper isolation procedures, and you may indeed have harmed your girlfriend.

I sort of lost sight of the gravity of the whole episode. I don't know how radioactive the semen would be, but I know when you get that high a dose you run the risk of testicular cancer, so it settles in that area for a while.

Hopefully you didn't fry her thyroid, but you didn't do her any favors, and she may lose some thyroid function from hanging around with you, if you know what I mean.
What should we do now...I know is sounds funny...but now we're freaking out...The last thing I wanted to do was put her at risk of anything...we just lost control. I'm really worried now.
Call the nuclear medicine department at the hospital and/or you doctor and see if they need to put her on something to block the iodine.  Also have her drink LOTS of fluids.

Oh, and stay away for another week or so.  Sorry but it's just not worth the risk to her health.
More like a month for the transmission of fluid like that.

Take Utah's advice.
I apologize for my first comment.
I think this is definately a situation where you need to contact the nuclear dept at the hospitol.

I know there is such a thing as a Iodowash Kit
Radioactive Iodine Decontamination Solution
For I-131, I-125, I-123 and equally effective for F-18 and other halogens

BUT this is for outside contimanation and NOT internal.

I would assume she would have to follow the restrictions as you should have now until she sees a doctor - or gets some information.

I see a possibility of her getting some thyroid blood panels ran very soon in the near future.

Okay...They said sex was okay to start anywhere between 5 to 6 days after because I'm very young and the amount remaining in me should be very small. But that I should still shower before hand and take precautionary steps. And that it would have been more risky had I given her oral sex. Since the majority of whatever was left in my body is in my saliva. But the out come was still a nice prescription of chillaxin, so try to avoid heavy sexual activity for a few more days. Also that she should be in a reverse low iodine diet...to protect her. Like oysters and iodized salt in food.

So me and her will wait another week or more. And try not to put ourselves in situation were we might F up.
Good decision.