Thyroid Disorders Community
Receding gums

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

Receding gums

Over the last year and a half I have had receding gums, and am just wondering whether other people with hashimotos hypothyroidism have this and whether it is indeed a symptom?

Did you find when you started treatment that the receding stopped?
I've had receding gums most of my life.  It has nothing to do with thyroid and did not stop after starting treatment. I've never heard of it being a symptom thyroid conditions.
My teeth are a disaster area despite brushing and flossing daily.  I have receding gums, three large molars completely cracked off to the gum line and i had to have three root canals and teeth rebuilt, 3/4 of my front tooth cracked off (rebuilt), excessive decay/rapid decay, fillings.... I have had hypothyroid symptoms for decades.  I also have had deficiencies of calcium, magnesium, and vitamin D.  

A study published in the journal Thyroid reported that vitamin D deficiency is much more common with Hashimoto’s Thyroiditis (92%) compared to the general population (63%). The study is on pubmed "Relative vitamin D insufficiency in Hashimoto's thyroiditis."  PMID: 21751884.

***

"Excessive tartar buildup and cavities can be caused by low thyroid function (Noren and Alm 1983). Excess tarter causes red, swollen, and receding gums (which can be made worse by low estrogen), hence the old saying “getting long in the tooth.” Gum recession isn’t always a reliable sign of hypothyroidism, however, as gum disease due to hypothyroidism can also cause gums to become swollen and overdeveloped and extend down over the teeth instead of receding." - From the book "The Women's Guide to Thyroid Health: Understanding Symptoms" by Kathryn R. Simpson, MS

***

"The greater risk for infection (or lessened ability to fight it), impaired ability to heal tissues, and poor circulation, and other factors contribute to decreased dental health in hypothyroid adults1. This has been reported as far back as 1888. In the report, tooth decay, teeth suddenly breaking off, swollen, spongy, bleeding and even receding gums have been tied to thyroid issues in the majority of patients suffering from hypothyroidism2." - The Thyroid and Dental Health Connection - AltMD

***

A deficiency in vitamin D might also lead to receding gums. Gum recession sometimes occurs as a result of periodontal disease: disease and inflammation of your gum tissue. A study published in the "Journal of Oral Science" in March 2009 found that vitamin D plays a role in the progression of gum disease. The study indicates that proper vitamin D signalling might inhibit the disease. Since a vitamin D deficiency hampers proper vitamin D signalling, the deficiency might also lead to gum recession and disease." - Receding Gums & Vitamin Deficiency by Louise Tremblay
I have this! Only with certain teeth, however (like my canines). It's very annoying and my dentist said it's likely from over-brushing. I didn't question him much about it, and I'm trying to brush more gently, although it's interesting to hear there's a potential link to thyroid disease.