Thyroid Disorders Community
Recently diagnosed as hypothyroid

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

Recently diagnosed as hypothyroid

Hello, I am a 43 WF suffering the past 3+ years from mood swings, sensitivity to heat, fatigue, depression, weight gain/inability to lose weight, night sweats, and recently 24-26 menstrual cycles. I also currently take medication for a prolactin excreting pituitary tumor - .5 mg of Cabergoline every Monday night.

I have asked multiple times for a complete thyroid panel but was always told that my levels were fine. :(

At my physical in November I all but begged for a complete panel again and he agreed! Here are the levels from the lab.

TSH         4.20 -- .30 - 3.00 mcU/mL
T3 Free    3.26 -- 2.5 - 3.9 picogram/mL
T4 Free    .85   --  .58 - 1.64 nanogram.dL

I have been prescribed 100 mcg of levothyroxine per day with levels to be rechecked in January.

My question is threefold. One, is this appropriate treatment given my numbers? Is this medication the best currently available with the least amount of side effects given the cabergoline I will continue to take? Finally, did the pituitary tumor potentially cause this issue and should I have more frequent blood tests and/or thyroid scans?

THANKS in advance!!
Hiya...

Well, I can comment on one thing...the drs fighting this further testing. I have had much the same problem, as is the major consensus among thyroid sufferers...getting correct testing, getting correct diagnosis, and getting correct treatment...once you've accomplished the first two things!

I cannot comment on anything treatment related...I have my own questions just regarding test results, but your numbers are far from optimal, as far as I know, and have learned so far...others can help you more with that.

TSH is connected to pituitary gland, and is the reading that more reflects pituitary function. The Free T3 and Free T4 are more the numbers to do with thyroid, and more sensitive in terms of how the dr will treat initially and for ongoing adjustments of dosage over time as these numbers fluctuate.

Now others can take over and tell you how!!

Take care, I just more wanted you to know I sympathize with your fight for answers!

C
An amendment to previous post...I said your numbers are "far" from optimal...I don't have much experience with reading test results with certain measures and ranges...to me they look "off", but again, others more experienced can help you with that. It may be the dr is like so many others and looking only and treating with TSH level in mind...

Bye for now. I'm sure you'll find out your answers here.
Is there a doctor available to answer my original post?!?