Thyroid Disorders Community
Recurrent Thyroid Cancer

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

Recurrent Thyroid Cancer

Recently diagnosed with recurrent papillary thyroid cancer.  Cat/Pet/Thyroid Scans all showed negative results.  No cancer cells. HOwever, ultrasound showed a nodule 8mm on left thyroid bed (thyroid was removed completely ten years ago when first diagnosed with thyroid cancer).  Did a FNA - two tissues on this nodule that showed thyroid cancer has returned.  How is it possible that all scans including the thyroid scan were negative?  The thyroid scan did NOT show a nodule at all.  It's confusing.  Dr referred me to an oncologist. Could the results be wrong? Should I get another opinion?  
You should definitely get a second opion. Although the results may be correct, second opinions are very helpful. Were you given RAI after surgery?? I'm sure that there are others on this board who can answer your post, but in the mean time. FNA's are used to detect cancerous cells, although sometimes the cells are missed due to other areas in the thyroid that aren't tested. God Bless You!
As far as I know, you cannot get a definitive cancer diagnosis from Cat/pet/thyroid scans. The cancer is sometimes very small, I had some that were 1-2 mm, pin head sized.  Those won't even show up on ultrasound.  I know an FNA can give you a positive diagnosis.  What are you waiting for?  Your thyroid was cancerous,  did you have the rest removed?  You can have cancerous cells in the thyroid tissue with NO nodules, I had three nodules on the right side, no cancer was found in the nodules, all three micro-carcinomas were found in the THYROID TISSUE.  Then they took our the rest of my thyroid, the biggest cancer was in a complex nodule on the other side.  If you had a full TT, did you have RAI?  As I understand it, when they remove the thyroid, they have to "peel it away" from your recurrent vocal nerves, that will leave tissue behind.  If you don't have RAI, that tissue can become cancerous.  I have heard of cancer recurring in several cases.  Try to private message Utahmomma, she has had several bouts with it, maybe she can advise you.  She was a help to me.  Good luck.
Thank each of you for responding and sharing your experience and advice.  Yes, I had a full TT and RAI treatment 10 years ago.  It's just shocking to me that the cancer has returned.  I am anxiously awaiting for my new oncologist (didnt have one 10 years ago - only endocrinologist) for an appt.  He has to review all my records first and then okay the first appt.  Of course, I am call his office daily!  Expect to have appt early next week.  I am keeping positive and moving forward.  Thank you for your comments and support.  Best of luck to each of you as well. Take good care.