Regrowth of a removed gland
Regrowth of a removed gland
  What would be the chances of a tyhroid gland that has been parcially removed 20 some odd years ago growing back? My mother has been having some test ran and the results have shown somthing there were she had the gland removed.
The doctors have not yet determined what this is but they are actting like the gland is still there and not beleiveing she had this surgery. Any idea's as to what might be going on?
I don't know what the chances are percentage wise.  I have heard it happening to others though.  With thyroid surgery there is some thyroid residue left due to being close to  and wrapping  around other glands, learned, parathyroid's, etc.
So if there is tissue left, there would be a chance for thyroid to grow back, in my thought and per my readings.

GL
Graves'DiseaseAndRAI
"larynx" (Sorry about the spelling in first post) the nerve to the voice box (the recurrent laryngeal nerve) -  the nerve that runs through the thyroid that works the vocal chords.

Even with the most meticulous surgery, small amounts of thyroid tissue are often left behind to help preserve the integrity of critical structures that lie beneath the lobes of the thyroid.

GL
  Now you are asking different questions.  Others with more experience or who have gone through surgery will need to answer you.  

However I will assume doctors might want to do a thyroid scan and FNA if warranted. If all's well, they might want to take the wait and see approach. That is, monitor it to see if it grows and how fast, which in that case they'd probably want to take it out.

Just my guess!

GL
I am the person that is having difficulty after having a right removal of the thyroid gland. At the time there was a "cold" nodule on the rt. side.This was 31 years ago and thet said it was benign. I have taken minimum replacement meds. since that time. Regular periodic screening were done, normal results.During these 31 years I have been diagnoised with Fibromylgia, Degenerative joint disease, problems with eyes,{blurred] vision, dry eyes, cryin without tears,severe dizziness and profuse sweating, no energy. As a result, I was having the test for heart , corrotted arteries ? when this was discovered [the mass] on the rt. side again . Any ideas about this an what should I expect as for the treatment?
I was diagnosed with Hashimoto's 05/07. I had a complete thyroid removal 08/07. During the autopsy, they found that the nodules were cancerous. Radiation than occured 10/07. I went to my Thyroid Specialist today 03/18/08, who had some weird findings. 4 Doctors came and viewed my ultrasound. 3 of them believe that the thyroid seems to be growing back or at least the tissue. He showed me the noby looking tissue that is covering the bone in a butterfly shape. How on earth is this possible when they took the hole thing out less than a year ago ?

You need a radioactive scan and possibly ultrasound, along with bloods.

It is uncommon but not unheard of in graves particularly for thyroid glands to grow back. I am 20 and Mine has grown back and am having secondary surgery, after my original thyroidectomy at age of 14. It is also more common in those who only had SUB total thyroidectomy rather than total. It isn't too big a deal, but you will need to push for scans as it is not nice to not be in the know. Hope this helps.
I just came from the result of my Nuclear Thyroid scan.
FORTY years a go I had a total thyroidectemy (the said they left some 'bits and pieces' due to Graves Disease.)  The radiologist today just found a fully grown and active thyroid!  I don't know what to think of it except that I prayed a few months ago and asked God if He would give me a new thyroid!!
My doctor felt "something" when he palpatated my neck and my thyroid Tish tests had suddenly gone off the scale..a week ago so the testing followed.

I am still at awe!
WOW!  I had mine out just in Oct. of 2011.  I am feeling terrible.  I was wondering if it would be possible, well PROBABLE really , if I would ask God for a new one if he would grant it to me.  Now, are you still taking meds or what is happening?  I am just stunned.  Very nice story.....
So did you have to remove it again or were you able to get off of the meds when your thyroid grew back?

Denise
I put in to yahoo 'Do Drs' leave thyroid tissue after a thyroidectomy' and they do leave some according to ncbi.gov site. There is a chance the cancer will return with it though. I'm asking and believing the Lord to grow me a new thyroid that will be better, healthier and stronger then the one I had to lose. That my new thyroid will be a greater blessing to my body and my health then the old one could ever have been and that I will never have any cancer of any kind anywhere in my body, ever again. All things are possible to those who believe. Gods, blessings to you all.
how about your new thyroid now? how are you feeling with it. Have you still remember the days with your old ones? Are them simily? You still take replacement drug now?