Thyroid Disorders Community
Relief for Cough after total thyroidectomy?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

I had a total thyroidectomy two weeks ago on 3/25/10 and the surgery went well. 2 days later, however I went back to ER with calcium deficiency (hypocalcemia) and was admitted for one additional day. My hands and mouth felt like I was getting paralized. With calcium supplementation 2-500mg calcium  and 2 tablets of calcitriol, it seems that the tingling sensation is under control.

3 nights ago, I developed a cough at night that has kept me from sleeping! Can anyone help me? I have a lot of phlegm and post nasal drip. And there's a part of my throat that tickles.

I hope and pray for a truly good night sleep.  Thanks in advance.
Everyone whose had a TT may have different issues. I did not have a cough but did have a strain in my chest for about two weeks or so.. that was very uncomfortable and i believe that anything that is respiratory (cough) has to due to the tube that was in place during surgery.

Try taking a strong cough med that will help with the phlegm and see if that helps and also mention it to your physician.

Feel Better.