Relief for Cough after total thyroidectomy?
I had a total thyroidectomy two weeks ago on 3/25/10 and the surgery went well. 2 days later, however I went back to ER with calcium deficiency (hypocalcemia) and was admitted for one additional day. My hands and mouth felt like I was getting paralized. With calcium supplementation 2-500mg calcium  and 2 tablets of calcitriol, it seems that the tingling sensation is under control.

3 nights ago, I developed a cough at night that has kept me from sleeping! Can anyone help me? I have a lot of phlegm and post nasal drip. And there's a part of my throat that tickles.

I hope and pray for a truly good night sleep.  Thanks in advance.
Everyone whose had a TT may have different issues. I did not have a cough but did have a strain in my chest for about two weeks or so.. that was very uncomfortable and i believe that anything that is respiratory (cough) has to due to the tube that was in place during surgery.

Try taking a strong cough med that will help with the phlegm and see if that helps and also mention it to your physician.

Feel Better.