Thyroid Disorders Community
Request help with lab tests- Gimel or LazyMoose

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

I really don't know who to turn to get my issues stabilized, despite 2 years of efforts from my nice nutritional chiropractor, who has tried me on tons of supplements galore.
I have had the usual TSH, T3 and T4 tests done every 6 months for years, (and I had to really push to get those okayed by my internist, who always marked the results normal. A D.O put me on NT1 (like Armour) about 10 years ago, but based on those every 6 month repeat tests, she has pushed my dosage up or pushed the dosage down depending on the thyroid test results. It has gone up and down , over and over. Currently, I am seeing this nutritional chiropractor who finally had me tested with the "full" profile for the first time ever. Once was in Sept, 2010, and the second time, (after changing around all my supplements to help the HPA system and boost the liver assistance) was in Jan, 2011. The results showed him that his trials with supplements weren't helping me and he thinks that I need to go off NT1 and find a specialist in Atlanta who wil l put me on a compounded med.Meanwhile, I am still freezing cold all the time, have lost the outer third of my eyebrows, put on weight if I go over about 1000 cal, even with daily exercise, am fatigued, etc, ad nauseum Here are the results:
Sept, 2010: TSH = 0.8      Jan, 2011: TSH = 0.8      (ref range -  1.8-3.0 mlu/I
                  TT4 =4.0                         TT4 = 4.0       (ref range- 6-12 ug/dl
                   TT3 = 78                         TT3 = 62        (ref range - 76-181 ng/dl
                  Free T4 = 0.7                    Free T4 =1.0   (ref range - 1.0 - 1.5  ng/dl
                  Free Thyroxine                 Free Thyroxine
                   Index  =1.1                      Index  =1.0         (ref range - 1.2 - 4.9 mg/dl
                  Free T3 = 2.34                  Free T3 = 1.90   ( ref range - 3.0 - 4.0 pg/ml
                  T3 Uptake = 28                 T3 Uptake = 25    ((ref range - 25-30ng/dl
                  Thyroid Per Antibodies= under 10 (considered normal so not  repeated in Jan)
                 Antithyroglobulin Antibody- under 20 (considered normal so not  repeated in Jan)
                    The reference ranges that I provided were given lab ranges, as they are a more naturalistic, narrow range of optimal thyroid test ranges.
Good luck with deciphering all this info. It is still too, too confusing to me, even though I try hard to understand all that I can.     Thank you very much.    
I don't know why anyone would be marking your labs as "normal" when the most imporatant test , FT3 is under even the reference range both times.  Frequently members tell us that symptom relief for them required that FT3 was adjusted into the upper part of its range and FT4 adjusted to at least midpoint of its range.  

A good thyroid doctor will treat a patient clinically, by testing and adjusting FT3 and FT4 as necessary to relieve symptoms, without being constrained by resultant TSH .   Symptom relief should be all important, not test results.  Even if your FT3 result was just within the low limit of the range, you would still need to increase to relieve symptoms.  The main value of test results is in diagnosis, and then to treack progress as meds are increased to relieve symptoms.  You need to find a good thyroid doctor that will treat you in the manner.  For confirmation of what I'm saying, please read this link.  It was written by a good thyroid doctor for his patients that are consulting with him from some distance.  The letter is sent to the patient's PCP, to help guide treatment.  

http://hormonerestoration.com/files/ThyroidPMD.pdf
I answered your PM which was this same post (now that I just read it). Your docs are looking at TSH before the frees, like gimel mentions. And your free T3 / T4 are not in range.

The other T3/T4 tests are considered outdated, but are still low as well.

The TSH range used is outdated too, newest is .3 to 3.0, but still the Frees are most important.