Thyroid Disorders Community
Restless legs syndrome and hyperthyroidism

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

I would like to know if there can be a connection.  A few months ago my daily thyroid dosage was reduced and since then I have very bad symptoms of RLS every night and hardly sleeping at all.  Even in the day my legs ache but this is nowhere near as bad because I am not resting.

I have always suffered from RLS but nowhere to the extent that I am suffering now.  It seems to be relentless.

Any help would be gratefully received.
Well, if you are hyper and feel hyperactive this would increase it.  I also suffer horribly from RLS and I take Requip for it.  Right now I am mildly hypermanic from the bipolar and mine are about to drive me insane.  

If you will lay in bed and read for 30 minutes and not get up just lay there and go to sleep--I can't do this have to get up and pee before I can go to sleep--it releases something in your brain that is suppose to stop the transmission that makes them do that.  It really works most of the time.  If I can go to sleep without getting up after I put the book down, but that's almost impossible for me.

Good luck.
I have RLS from time to time. I find it is not as bad if I get a chance to talk a walk during the day. Sitting in the car for even an hour or two, however, drives me nuts. Legs want to flail all over the place. Never thought about it in relation to thyroid. But I never thought my thyroid at all until a month ago.
RLS is often caused by low iron levels.

Have ferritin, iron and CBC checked.

Iron levels can vary by as much as 50% in one day, so ferritin is more reliable. It is the iron storage protein. That is, the iron our body has stored for future use.

Also, eating an iron rich meal or taking supplements in the 24 hours before testing can falsly elevate the iron result

The ferritin level will drop before the iron and any clinical signs of anemia.