Reverse T3 Why does it happen.
Why is my T3 going into Reverse T3 instead of doing me any good. I have tried everything(according to my Endro) Now my Armour is not working. Where do I go from here? I am freezing, the pressure in my chest is back and going up to my jaw( this has been checked with a catherization 4x's and always not it) I wake up with an irregular heartbeat and my TSH 2 weeks ago was too low. Now what do I do?

This discussion is related to Weight Gain/hashimoto's disease What help is there.
What was your most recent TSH?  What were your free t3 and free t4 results?? Also what was your reverse t3 level at?
Has your dr temporarily put you on cytomel only until your body stops converting so much to reverse t3?
It happens oddly b/c of binding proteins.... You need to release the RT3. Even with Armour being a T4/T3 combo medication the T4 still involved is converting and for some odd reason binding instead of free it up to move through your body.

What are your doctors feelings about using Cytomel? Can you discuss with him using Selenium to help release the hormone?
I answered Laura yesterday and it got lost in my computor. Sorry.
I have already tried Cytomel, it did nothing. I have taken Synthriod for years and my body stopped using it . I don't know if the Cytomel would work with a natural thyroid. Haven't tried that route.  The pharmacy has ordered Naturthyroid(?) for another customer and suggested I try that . I have suffered with this thyroid since the early 50's. Yes, it gave me pernisious anemia. It gets low enough that I get the pressure in my chest that goes up in my jaw and I start to lose my voice (I am having that trouble now with the irregular heartbeat) I have been this thru this 4 x's, always with a heart cath and always told"not your heart'. I do have a heart problem so this is very troubling.
I do not have the record of my latest numbers. The reverse T3 has not come back from the lab. I think they send it to Mayo. My PCP was told it would be the end of the week. That is 3 weeks after it was drawn! Yes, I am now dealing with a PCP. My Endo gave up on me. She said"I don't know why it is going into Reverse T3. I don't know what to do with you. I have tried everything but Armour and we don't prescibe it." She put me on Armour 180 and I felt better within 2 days! Yes I found another Dr. He did an US and found one side bigger than the other. He is sending my lab and test results. He is very easy to work with. He only told me my THS was low. Selenium is in my Multi, 70 mcg and I also have some GNC that is 200 mcg. Do I need that much?
My neck feels very tight but you can't see that much difference in the mirror. I turn my head fast and a sharp pain goes up under my ear. I don't know if that is connected to the thyroid or not. Maybe all of this is old age(75). I believe I will keep on fighting it anyway. I enjoy my 7 yr old granddaughter too much!
Thanks so much for your caring!!
A good amount of Selenium is 200mgs.  You may be finding, that b/c of your age, putting you on a T3 med is not common at all. In fact - it may be down right impossible to get it.

I suggest you read up on the Wilson's syndrome and see if anything pops up for you.
I'll try the 200. My Endo tried the Cytomel thinking the extra T3 would to the trick. I tried and my FT3 did not move one speck from the 60 it had been. My body was absorbing nothing. I am fast getting back to the old symptoms. Spending a lot of time on the bed. Missing my square dancing is killing me!!
I will check on the Wilson's Syndrome. Thanks
let me know your thoughts.
did your endo bump up w/ T3 meds with any other thyroid med? Used it in combination with a T4 med?

That may have been the problem when you took it and it didn't help you.
Hi Stella, My Endo used the Cytomel with my Synthroid but only 112 instead of the 137. She first tried it alone then with the Syntroid. She said it wouldn't work. (Wish it had) My Reverse T3 test is still not back. Tomorrow is 3 weeks. My Dr. mentioned Wilson's the first time I went to him and then decided it did not aply. I wonder if that would work. I will talk to him again after he decides if I need something else or a decrease. My nerves are climbing walls. Turn a door knob and I jump a mile. I sure am getting a lot of copper and brass polished!! Ha Ha!!
I am going to pipe in again! lol  You posted on the other thread about your body developing so many other cysts....interesting that my body is doing the same thing. I have 1 in each kidney, 1 in my liver and 1 on my rt ovary.
When was the last time you tried Cytomel alone? Was it put into a time release version for you by a compounding pharmacy?? That is the only way to keep getting it into your system without having to take so many dosages. That may be why it didn't work?
T3 medicine is very short lived and needs to be taken throughout the day and night in your case I would think.
The cytomel was over a year ago. I have another Dr. now I'll see what he says about my meds when the Reverse T3 comes back.
I have had these for some time They stared in my kidney, a small 3cm. Then they found one on my ovary that they said should be removed. The gyn could not get it out the belly button because there were so many. He had to just tie off the right one. He couldn't get to it with cutting an artery. I have them in my lungs and the one(s) in my kidney is noe 5cm with company. I am also finging them in my uterus. I am wondering if they are in my thyroid and that is what is causing my problems. My endo decided I had another physical problem and that is why she could not cure it. I wonder what it could be.  Alice
Stella, I started on Selenium yesterday. I was a nervous mess yesterday. today was much better. I was taking an acid reducer with my Armour in the morning, two days I have wiated until breakfast to take the acid reducer. Today has been better. (even with a great batch of New England baked beans I just made, they taste great!)
See how it goes.

If your doctor did not release the T3 originally - whci I don't happened b/c you remained on T4 meds with the Cytomel.... then this could be why you are still having issues,

Looking forward to seeing the RT3 test.
Talked to the nurse this AM. My TSH was .005, RT3is 476, T4 is 1.67 and T3 uptake is 3.39. She is sending me the sheet to get the guidelines. He lowered the med and said I could take the Natur if I thought it would help. He is worried about the heart reaction. I did not take the acid reducer today but took a med that put the good bacteria back in the stomach. No problem with gas, yet. This playing games with the meds is no fun. My neck is getting tight this afternoon, but we will see.