Thyroid Disorders Community
Reverse T3 doctor?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

Reverse T3 doctor?

Well, I am giving up. Because of my chronic migraines and spotting before periods I have visited two GYN, a neurologist, a GI doctor, three dentists, ENT, allergy doctors, a nutritionist, and two primary doctors.

The GYN''s and the neurologist said that there's is nothing wrong with me and that is my thyroid. The primary doctor who treats me for my thyroid says is not my thyroid. My frees are in the upper part of the range my TSH is suppressed and my reverse T3 is up in the sky.

I am becoming allergic to almost anything, supplements and medicines. I never had allergies before.

I was looking for a endocrinologist in the site BEST THYROID doctors (Shomon's site and STTM site), I searched all the database for my state, but I did not found anyone that specialized in reverse T3. Does anyone have an idea where I can find a doctor who treats or at least understand how to treat reverse? How do I know if an endocrinologist treats reverse at all?

Thanks!!!
Where are you located?
I am in New Jersey and New York area.
Find an endo that sounds promising, then call their office and ask if they test FT3 and FT4, as well as TSH, if the doctor treats by symptoms and is willing to prescribe T3 medications, including both cytomel and NDT; ask if the doctor is familiar with RT3 and its treatment.  If the answers are no, keep looking.
Thanks. I tried to make an appointment with an endo this afternoon and start from scratch...her next appointment is in August. I did not make the appointment, I had to think...

Do you think the assistant will know (or will be willing to tell me) if they test FT3, FT4 and willing to prescribe Cytomel?

I have the sense they will say they do not know or that I have to make an appointment and ask the doctor...unfortunately I need a referral to see an specialist and I have to be very sure which one I will go.

My insurance also does not cover integrative nor holistic medicine:(
My guess from what I've read here on the forum is that you're probably going to have a hard time finding a mainstream doctor who "believes in" or will treat RT3 dominance.  Have you thought of going the integrative medicine approach or to a naturopath?  Of course, you would still have to pre-interview them with the same questions Barb suggested, but they might be more receptive.
That is wanted to do Goolarra. I found online at least two naturopath who treated reverse or at least believed in Cytomel and frees testing, but my insurance does not cover it.

I also found another doctor, but for initial visits, without the testing is $300 (no insurance)...I am a grad student and cannot afford that now...thanks for the suggestion it seems it would be the right path.
You might want to go ahead and make the August appointment, and in the meantime, keep looking for something sooner... If you find something sooner, you can cancel the Aug appointment, but if you don't find something sooner, you'll, at least, have that to cling to. Also, you could ask if they have a "cancellation" list -- this is a list of people who are willing to take a last minute appointment that someone else might cancel.  You might get a phone call to be there in an hour, or be there tomorrow...... you'd have to arrange your schedule to accommodate... I've done this and it got me in, in days, not weeks or months.
There is an amazing endo in Cherry Hill, NJ, Anthony Jennings. I hear he treats symptoms, not only going by lab values, and he listens to his patients and spends time with them. I am going to switch to him myself. Here is a link that has reviews about him, however, I am not only giving you info from reviews, my friend also is his patient and loves him.
http://www.thyroid-info.com/topdrs/newjersey.htm
Hi, there..sorry to hear about your troubles.  My husband sees an endo in Williston Park who pretty much is open to whatever you want to try.  I don't know if the location suits you, as Jersey is a bit away from Williston Park, but it's not THAT far out east.  Let me know, and when he gets back from the gym tonight, I'll get his info and pass it along to you.
Thank you for the info. I googled it and Williston Park  is a little far away, not pretty sure I can make it, thank you though. Probably Cherry Hill suits me better, I will consider it. Good to know there are some good ones out there.

Barb -I think you are right, I will go ahead and make the appointment, I can always cancel. They don't have a cancellation list, I was told, I have to keep calling.  Thanks.
have your Iodine level checked.most disorders are from lack of iodine.the flouride in our water and bromine in breads deplete our iodine intake.thats if you even have any.selenium and potassium iodide are others we lack.
Iodine is contraindicated in anyone with Hashimoto's.  Iodine will only help if one has a "working" thyroid.  Once the thyroid is no longer able to produce hormones, no amount of iodine is going to help.
I am pretty ignorant regarding iodine. I thought that was not good all in people with hypothyroidism, that is my understanding.

Should I get tested on that?

I do not have Hashimotos