Thyroid Disorders Community
Right TSH level

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

Right TSH level

I am 52 years lady.  My TSH level is 5.65.  My periods have stopped in 2008.  Is this TSH level of 5.65 o.k.?  Can you suggest some natural way of bringing down the TSH level.
TSH should not be the concern for you.  TSH is a pituitary hormone that is affected by so many variables that it is inadequate as the sole diagnostic for thyroid.  At best it is only an indicator, to be considered along with more important indicators such as symptoms, and also the levels of the biologically active thyroid hormones, Free T3 and Free T4.  FT3 is the most important test because it largely regulates metabolism and many other body functions.  Scientific studies have also shown that FT3 correlated best with hypo symptoms, while FT4 and TSH correlated very poorly.

So, if you haven;t been tested for Free T3 and Free T4, that should be done, along with TSH.  Also,hypo patients frequently are low in Vitamin A, D, B12, zinc, iron/ferritin, and selenium.  So it would be good to have those tests done also.  It would also be helpful to us, if you would look at this listing of typical hypo symptoms and tell us which ones you have.  

http://endocrine-system.emedtv.com/hypothyroidism/hypothyroidism-symptoms-and-signs.html

A good thyroid doctor will treat a hypo patient clinically by testing and adjusting FT3 and FT4 as necessary to relieve symptoms.  Symptom relief should be all important, not just test results.  Test results are valuable mainly as indicators during diagnosis and afterward to track FT3 and FT4 levels as meds are revised to relieve symptoms.  You may get some good info about clinical treatment from this link.

http://hormonerestoration.com/files/ThyroidPMD.pdf

If you will get that testing done and post results and reference ranges shown on the lab report members will be glad to help interpret and advise further.