Thyroid Disorders Community
SALT???

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

SALT???

Does anyone crave (by that I mean CRAVE --- IN A BIGGGG WAY) Salt?  What could it mean, if anything?

I don't know if it helps to know I have never craved anything before all of the thyroid he!!.  If it helps ... monthly did not visit in April and now seems to like me this month as I just started another round two weeks after the last!  

My catch phrase is from now on going to have to be STUPID THYROID I guess because mine has possessed the other parts of my body and I don't know how much more I can take!!!!
Hi.  As you know I am very new to this site but, YES, I crave salt so bad it's unreal.  
The thing is;  I'm not supposed to have it.  The cravings drive me nuts and sometimes & I have to cheat.  Though with everything else off (sugar, iron, thyroid, calcium), whats one more once every few weeks.  LOL.  I can't wait for mine to stop for good.  Won't produce so it don't do no good being there anyway just another monthly pain.  Hope your monthly gets back on tract.

Amy
Sorry, I meant to say after LOL; I hate my monthly and I can't wait...Bla bla bla.  

Must have had a brain fart.  Take Care;
Amy
Excessive salt craving can indicate Addison's Disease.

Do a search for "salt addisons" and you will find some good info.
I crave for 'sugar' when I am HypO(diabetes ruled out ) .........salt has never been an issue for me though it took a while to get used to NOT having it.
They say you can have rock salt and any salt that isnt 'iodised' but in my books...if you dont know, dont do it?
I know one day I had food with salt in it and 3 days later I was extremely HypeR so be careful if you are trying to control your levels.
Take Care
Thanks for the info.  Does anyone know if there is a 'test' for addison's?
It might not be as severe as Addison's.  Might just be adrenal fatigue, which is related.

The tests to check your adrenal function:

Cortisol, ACTH, Aldoserone, Renin, and electrolytes - this should be done in the morning, before 9am and all tests run at the same time.  

Some info about aldosterone testing:  Aldosterone is an adrenal hormone that regulates the salt/potassium levels in your blood.  Low aldosterone can cause salt cravings.  High aldosterone can cause high blood pressure.

High levels of progesterone can artificially elevate your aldosterone level, so it's best to get this done during the first 4-5 days of your menstrual cycle (if you still have it).  Best to get this done after you've been up for 2 hours or it'll also be unusually high.  "Try" to cut down on salt the day before you get testing done (I know that's difficult with cravings).

Other tests to get done:  ACTH stim test.  This is where they give you an injection of ACTH (a pituitary hormone that stimulates cortisol production) and then measure the amount of cortisol in your blood at regular intervals.

There are a few more tests your doc may want to run, but these are the main ones.  There's also a 24-hour cortisol saliva test.  This measures the amount of cortisol in your system over a day.  From my experience, Diagnos-Tech has the most comprehensive test for the money.
Totally adrenal related and possibly an iodine issue.  Get off table salt totally and use unrefined sea salt. To support the adrenals take unrefined sea salt and filtered water once in the am and pm drink it up - sounds gross but the benefits outway. It reduces swelling ( as you have with your thyroidtis) and supports adrenal repair.

Move forward on the tests above.
Oh by the way........ I had potatoe chips for breakfast yesterday !!!!   YIKES
Kitty's right, salt craving is associated with Addison's Disease. I also crave salt most days and have done all this year I've been having problems. It gets worse in the afternoons. I've just had a load of blood tests and one of them was for Addison's though I'm hoping it's not that. You should mention your cravings to your Doctor, it's my cravings that hav finally got them to take action!
Addison's runs in steps.  The adrenals become over used and when exhaustion falls - then Addison's kicks in.

Adrenals are widely ignored in the endocrine system and that's a shame. Take care of them and preserve their function.

You need them to live.
LOL Stella!  You're too funny!  I crave salt in the evenings and have become a B-I-G fan of lays plain chips and would kill someone for some every day about 3 or 4 p.m.

Thanks  to all for the information, I guess the trick will be getting my endo to listen to me.  I called him b/c of swelling with exertion recently and he just told me to keep my 6/5 or 6/6 appointment (I think its the 5th, but the fog has rolled in this evening so will have to check on my office calendar tomorrow).  I also have a follow up with the surgeon (that I probably did not need to see at this point, but am thankful, he listens to me) on the 10th, so if the endo is too stupid to listen, maybe he will.  I am so tired of my thyroid.  
Salt! Must have salt! Me who used to go bananas at anyone adding salt to their boikling water is now eating rock salt.Ok not in great amounts but yesterday I would have walked over broken glass to have salt. Ate some chippies and then got some rock salt....it was sheer pleasure...after the 3rd lot of rock salt I realised it didn't taste so wonderful anymore. BUT, I knew it was more than just a passing fad...no doubt in a few days I will crave it again.
  I have read that eating crunchy things is a symptom of lack of iron...that is definitely what I used to have  (loved eating crushed ice, then a large pack of chips every night) Now it is plain salt in the hand, down the throat and satisfy that mental urge.
   I have been trying to tel my docs that I am sure I have adrenal insufficiency, (not the same as Addison's) but alas! My journey leads me to dumb doctors. Sigh.
Chippies! lol
I gave them away last October...found they gave me mouth ulcers and sore throats and made me HypeR so ....havent had a packet in over 8 months :(
I could really do with some cheese and onion ones right this very minute!

Debbie
Careful on over consumption of table salt - if you need to eat some eat unrefined sea salt. It supports the adrenals and has certain minerals in it that the thyroid can use also.

I am finding I crave ( this is bad.......) pickles and it's juice. I litterally will drink out of the jar.

I find if I am bloating I crave it more.
LOL - Salted Almonds are working for me right now b/c I forgot to stop at the store this a.m.!

do you crave sugar? pickle juice & vinegar are treatments for Yeast Overgrowth- which can cause cravings 4 Sugar.

And I too don't use the table salt because of the Iodine vs thyroig meds. The filtered or Iodized water works! If you like the pickles? Try Sauerkraut, about a cup a day- see if cravings dimenish.
tornado warnings are all around me and the sirens are blaring for us to take cover but I have to know - how much unrefined seasalt in how much water helps the salt cravings? And how in the world can salt water help with bloating? I am so happy that I may have found answers to that darn salt craving. I never knew it was related to my thyroid. Does low thyroid cause bloating, or is it the salt? WooHoo! (I'm doing a cartwheel and, believe me, it isn't a pretty sight!)
It is about a heaping tablespoon of sea salt to about 12 oz of water. 2x's a day.

Bloating is a retention of water of something. (hypoT) the sea salt counteracts and balances the PH system.

Also magnesium in the evening will calm you and reduce the bloating / swelling.
So a Major all the sudden HUGE pickle craving, like a jar every day, and bloat that makes you from skinny to looking almost like 28 weeks preggers is probly a good indication of a thyroid condition???
YES!!!!!!! I crave pickles and the juice all the time!!!!!!!!!!! I could easily go thru a bottle a day if I don't curb it.