Thyroid Disorders Community
Safegaurding House during RAI

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

Safegaurding House during RAI

About to begin RAI this month after thyroidectomy and dx of stage 3 papillary cancer (spread to my lymph nodes).
The doc says its unlikely that insurance will pay for a stay in the hospital for the week of isolation - so I'll be returning to my home, where I live alone.
What strategies can I use to protect my belongings and space from the radioactivity?
Are there specific materials you can suggest for covering furniture that will be effective in not contaminating it?
Are there any products I can get that mitigate the contamination once it happens?
How can I best prepare the space where I will continue to live after treatment...?
I'm a little freaked out about the prospect of spending the holiday aglow, but eager to get it over and done.
thanks for all your input.