Thyroid Disorders Community
Salt cravings from over active thyroid?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

Salt cravings from over active thyroid?

My doctor recently took me off methimazole (thyroid suppressant) and I have been eating far too many salty things in the past few weeks.....way beyond my normal diet or intake. Is having salt cravings at all related to Grave's disease? Does anyone else get them when they are turning hyper or is this just some weird phase I am going thru?
I don't know if the salt craving is from the Graves, but it can be a symptom of adrenal insufficiency. Also know in i's worst form as Addison's Disease.  
I have the same thing.  I thought it was related to the methimazole as I've been told that it can dull your sense of taste/smell as well as a dry mouth....but you would think you would have had the salt cravings while on the drug.  Hmmmm maybe it is related to being hyper...I might be hyper right now, I'm not sure - just had a blood test to see.  I had a reaction to the PTU I was on for a year so I had to switch to methimazole and I've just started on a very low dose so it's possible I'm hyper too.  Let me know if you find out any more info.  I'm having an especially hard time right now with my salt cravings as I'm having RAI soon and I have to be on a low iodine diet!!!
I avoided all iodised salt when hyper before RAI and only had minimal salt.
After RAI, I found the taste of salt to be disgusting..like someone who has sugar in their coffee and doesnt take it.
When I was hyper...I craved sweet things like chocolate etc.
But I have heard salt craving is hypo and not hyper.
I have never had the salt craving..only the 'sweet' craving whilst hyper.
I don't know that I have actually had "salt cravings" but I have noticed for some time now that I have been wanting my food to be saltier than usual.  I am hyper.  For the most part, I have lost an interest in sweets.  If I do desire them, one or two bites will satisfy me.  Just my experience.
I crave salt like crazy.....always have.  Unfortantly I have to watch how much I have due to BP and HR/heart issues along with diabetes.  I recently had a CT of my abdomen and pelvis done due to womanly pains and bloating/pains issues and adrenals were normal for me though you might want to get yours checked out.  Iron also if you crave something crunchy as I do.

The post listed below "SALT???" had some very good replies.   Best of wishes.
Funny you guys mention this.

I crave salty crunchy chips only. I am not a table salt person either. I have always eaten salty crunch chips, it is a craving for me.

I had graves, had TT and still crave it. I do not crave sweets, and like someone said, usually one or two bites is all I need.

My TT was 15yrs ago.
I CRAVE SALTY CHIPS...I don't even like salty stuff and I just want it....all the time...Used to be I'd eat something salty, then I want something sweet.  Now sweet is almost toooo sweet and I want the salt.  Hypo..Hashis.  Thryoidectomy.
This is so interesting.

I can not eat a lot of food because they are too salty for me, example: soups ,sliced cheese, chicken tenders, NEVER use table salt when I cook or put on my food, but DO not stand between me and my salty chips. Sliced deli ham is too salty for me as well.

Funnions, crunchy cheetos, munchos, chili cheese fritos.

Also will eat salt with CRUNCHY pickles or lemons only.
YES!!! to all of your questions about salt cravings with Grave's disease/ hyperthyroidism... I am 25yrs old and I have Grave's disease/ hyperthyroidism.. All of my life I have always craved salt... Eating pickles in the morning, afternoon, and at night was one of the first signs for me after the hyper sign.. Before diagnosed, I craved hot and spicy things like chips, white vinager, banana peppers, and hot and spicy V 8 juice, everything salty under the sun.. You name it I craved it!! Even though people eat pickles and other salty things simply cause they loved them but mine was a medical condition.. Also another sign is very fast reflexes... Tap on your knee and if it seems a little faster then it could be Grave's. Also wide eyes, sweating, fast heart rate, high blood pressure, irritabiliy, and sleep problems, irregular periods and  other symptoms.
Yes to cravings--(hypo- on wait list for TT, hashi's) but insane insane "hot" cravings. I've got a bag of chile flakes and a bottle of hot sauce that I've been using in everything--it's bizarre.  

Then I read that chiles/hot peppers are supposed to be a newish diet craze--they speed up your metabolism.  Huh--is it the body's way of trying to ditch they hypothyroid effects?  

It's annoying though, literally I crave hot spices at every meal.  When I sprinkle it on ice cream--I'll park myself outside the endo's office. lol
I had HYPOthyroidism and couldn't move. I would drink coffee only to fall asleep.I became swollen and obviously gained weight, because if you don't move you get fat. I was so thankful to find out it was my thyroid. Then, my doctor told me he wanted me at around a 1.0. Which I have to tell you was a fantastic idea. I felt better than before I became ill! Unfortunately, my thyroid just recently went from HYPO to HYPERthyroidism. He expected this would happen so we decreased my dose, literally 2 days ago. What I've been noticing is my cravings these last few weeks are insane! Now in general I'm a "craver" for lack of a better word. If I crave it so help me IT MUST BE DONE! :) But lately this is everyday. Specifically, Taco Bell's new quesadilla. I can eat it everyday and lots of it! I crave sweets as well. But that Taco Bell? I had a craving for Taco Bell months ago that lasted about a week and a half but this is crazy. I need SOMEONE to tell me it's because of my thyroid being Hyper. I don't want to get fat again and even though Taco Belle cheap, with the amount I can consume it is not!

Hypothyroidism/Hyperthyroidism
Synthroid