Thyroid Disorders Community
Selenium and pregnancy

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

Selenium and pregnancy

I have Hashi's and antibodies over 1000 for years. I started taking 200 mcg of selenium about 7 months ago believing it would help w/ the high antibodies. I also took a multi vit and now prenatals. I also take calcium, flax seed, and just recently iron, and folic acid. I am 8 weeks pregnant. I've asked my OB about continuing selenium to which I've received no answer. Is it still considered safe or should I stop the add't supplement?
I should've mentioned I was on 125 mcg of synthroid, but since pregnancy by TSH shot up to 4.69 and my dosage was increased to 150 mcg. They haven't tested the Free T4 yet, but will this week. FYI first pregnancy was in '06 w/ ZERO complications, but am worried again. Wasn't on selenium last time.
Thanks to whomever replies.
Sorry! Not very good at this, guess I should mention my age w/ first baby was 33 at conception and I'm not 37.
I found this...hope it helps :)

Pregnant women have a slightly higher need for selenium, compared to most adults. However, pregnant women living in the United States usually get enough selenium through dietary means. For most pregnant women, there is probably no need to take any additional selenium; in fact, too much can be dangerous.

The RDA (Recommended Dietary Allowance) of selenium for pregnant women is 60 mcg per day, compared to 55 mcg per day for non-pregnant adults. Because selenium is found in a wide variety of commonly consumed foods, most people don't have any trouble getting enough, at least in the United States. People in other parts of the world, however, may be more likely to have selenium deficiencies, due to low soil levels and, therefore, low food levels of selenium.

There is some evidence that low selenium levels may be linked to first-trimester miscarriages and recurrent miscarriages. However, this does not necessarily mean that taking selenium can help prevent miscarriages, especially in women who do not have a selenium deficiency.

Keep in mind that selenium can cause serious side effects. For adults (including pregnant women), toxicity can occur at doses higher than 400 mcg of selenium per day. There have even been reports of death due to selenium toxicity.

If you are pregnant, it is always a good idea to have a discussion with your healthcare provider before taking any medication or supplement, including selenium.
I appreciate the response. I had seen the information you posted, unfortunately I don't think it takes into consideration Hashi's disease and antibodies. There just doesn't seem to be a definitive yes or no answer on selenium when you have Hashi's and high antibodies. I have read some research that selenium can help lower the antibodies. I wasn't concerned about the dose until I got pregnant, but no one seems to be able to tell if there's an issue continuing the dose. I have talked w/ my healthcare provider and he's yet to provide an answer either. Very frustrating and my endo at one point refuted the effects of selenium anyway. Hard to know what to do.
I am 23 weeks pregnant with Hashimotos. My OBGYN has me taking 200 mcg Selenium, 25mg Zinc, 1000mg DHA/EPA, 1000 UI D3, all in addition to my prenatal vitamin. I am also on 150 mcg Levothyroxine, but still can't get my numbers within normal range. I haven't been taking all the supplemnets long enough to tell if they helped yet. I go back to get blood drawn in a couple weeks.