Severe Itching
Hi, I have been suffering from severe itching all over my skin for the past year..I've tried to see a dermatologis but found no result. I have had micro-adenoma with increased levels of prolactin and hypothyroidism. I have been on Dostinex and Thyroxine for almost a year. Is it possible that itching is related to any of the two conditions or a side effect of the medication I'm taking? Thanks!
When my thyroid levels drop, I immediately start itching all over. The reason I believe this is because within 30 mins to 1 hour of taking cytomel (which is T3 only) I stop itching. This typically happens late day or at least afternoon. There are times I have to take cytomel to sleep becaue the itching keeps me awake.
My scalp  and legs are very itchy lately, Iv just been told Im hypo so puttin it down to dat... Gets annoyin especially if youv an itch in public! LOL
Until you get your levels resolved, Sarna lotion works pretty good to control the itch, and it has no steroids in it.
I'll have to try Sarna lotion. I've been using the Aveeno anti-itch lotion (the one with menthol and calamine). It's too wide spread to even think about using Cortaid.
Sarna is camphor and menthol. For me that combination works better than the Aveeno. I have used Cortaid as a lotion after a shower, but very rarely since it does have steroids.
i had this problem as well, and i was switched from synthroid to armour, but i think thats just me, i dont think that would solve the problem for everyone. i use aveeno skin relief lotion at night. i also use aveeno skin relief shower gel, it makes a world of difference. and if the itching is horrilbe i take some allergy medicine and that helps, i either take benadryl or chlor-tabs, sometimes both if its really bad.
oh yea forgot one thing, i have also found that using that new vasiline clinical therapy after the shower helps too, along with johnsons creamy baby oil.
I do take Benadryal at night when it's really bad but since it knocks me out - I can't take it during the day. I've tried the Aveeno line and it's done nothing for me. A few years ago I tried their oatmeal bath - made me itch even more! I even tried the Gold Bond Medicated and it didn't help!